Had eventful drive collecting the Dolomite!

Yes, worth changing to the braided whilst you're at it, not too bad to feed it to the engine bay if everything's out. Makes pedal feel a little better as well :)

Makes it a 'known' item then as well so it won't bulge or exploded later on.

Odd for the cable to be at fault! Nice of him to sort it though! Usually the choke cable slips on its retaining assembly so it doesn't pull the correct distance. Anyway, it should be set so that the knob has an inch of travel, half being what should be used to start it on normal days, if at all, with full out being extreme winter starting :)

saitrix said:
See whoever said classic cars are boring? :p

Exactly, that's why I kind of like "older" cars. Yeah they may break down often and require more maintenance than newer cars, but that's part of the fun. Hands on fixing the car. Tbh, they are soo much easier to work on than newer cars. :) Joy's of motoring!

Lashout_UK said:
Yes, worth changing to the braided whilst you're at it, not too bad to feed it to the engine bay if everything's out. Makes pedal feel a little better as well :)

Makes it a 'known' item then as well so it won't bulge or exploded later on.

Odd for the cable to be at fault! Nice of him to sort it though! Usually the choke cable slips on its retaining assembly so it doesn't pull the correct distance. Anyway, it should be set so that the knob has an inch of travel, half being what should be used to start it on normal days, if at all, with full out being extreme winter starting :)

Yup it was good of him. In some ways I like all these problems, lets me work on it which is what I wanted to do.

I am needing a lot of choke right now, think that could be down to the idle. Cold idle seems to be no higher than warm idle (roughly 850rpm). Once I get the clutch sorted think I will take it to the guy you recommended for carb tuning to see what he can do.

Oh yes on Rimmers I noticed there were 2 repair kits for the slave cylinder, one Lockheed and the other Girling. How do I know which make it is? The clutch fluid filler bottle is Lockheed by the way.

Firegod said:
Exactly, that's why I kind of like "older" cars. Yeah they may break down often and require more maintenance than newer cars, but that's part of the fun. Hands on fixing the car. Tbh, they are soo much easier to work on than newer cars. :) Joy's of motoring!
the sad fact of the matter is the way things are going it won't be too long before the diy mechanic simply will not be able to fix his own car.
even now there are many cars that you can't touch.
:(

They did use different manufacturers for the same parts back in the olden days mate and still do now, like dizzys, alternators and starters etc.
It is important to get the exact same part. To find out which one remove the old one and look for the name.
Other more informed Dolly heads will let you know what parts you can mix and match.

Back
Top Bottom