• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Had to return my Gigabyte Windforce 2060 card due to noise, what should I replace it with?

Associate
Ok so this has been driving me crazy, i got my Windforce 20602 weeks ago and the fans stay at 0rpm below 50c, that means in my case the card sits around 48c idle so every little graphical intensive thing i do, be it youtube or.....seemingly ANYTHING it spins up causing a horrific noise, i have a silent pc and its not acceptable.

So i returned it for a refund. Now i bought it prior to the 1660ti, im wondering if maybe i should go that route now and save £100,i run at 1440p and to be honest i dont play that many intensive games, Monster Hunter World being the biggest one, most are CRPG's like Divinity or games like XCOM. Maybe the £100 saving would be worth it?

OR is there a better option do you guys think? Also if i was to get another 2060 what brand do you recomend, apparently Gigabytes windforce for the RTX range are all flawed with this horrible noise so thats not an option. I want silence more than anything.

Associate
OP
No I would not recommend get GTX 1660 Ti for £50 saving when RTX 2060 have 1 free game of choice.

You would had not bought that crappy Gigabyte Windforce card sound like dishwasher if you read Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Windforce sounds like dishwasher thread.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ti-windforce-sounds-like-dishwasher.18832673/

I recommend MSI, their cooler are amazing quiet, lower temp and silence. Been bought MSI GTX 970 Gaming, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X and now current MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio owner. :)

I recommend you to get MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z card, it has higher boost clock 1830MHz compared to Gigabyte RTX 2060 Winforce Dishwasher card's 1770MHz.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £389.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Thanks. When i heard the noise and googled RTX windforce fan noise i seen a bunch of threads and videos, sucks because gigabyte has always been my go to manufacturer because of their fast and fair RMA process. My last card was an MSI, GTX780 and it never skipped a beat, silent at idle but noisy at load but thats fine, its the iddle i want to be quiet. I will have a little look but MSI was my next idea. I dont like that the cards nowadays turn the fans off at idle, i would prefer a low RPM to keep the cards cool than off, low RPM is silent anyway!

Associate
OP
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £279.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)
I dont know why but im wary of the Vega card, im a sucker for quiet/low temperatures and i always hear about how warm those cards run, not sure about noise though. I also dont really want to be messing around with undervolting and such. Nvidia seems more like a plug and play crd? does that make sense?

Associate
OP
You want to spend the extra tenner on the Sapphire pulse - different class.
The undervolting is done in the Radeon driver software - just copy someone else's settings, back it off a little - should take 10 mins - 30 secs if you know what you're doing.
And do you think the Vega 56 is worth it over the 1660ti or 2060? I mean i have heard good things but also it seems like it only gets to peak performance after tweaking and undervolting etc. If i wasnt to tweak the card would it still be cool/quiet?

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies, i wouldnt go near a blower type card, I had a GTX280 blower card and it was a nightmare, i dont see why manufacturers can make a quiet blower because the concept is fantastic, too loud for me though. Im really thinking about the Sapphire Vega 56 now, is there anything I would be giving up going from Nvidia to AMD? Im a bit ignorent when it comes to the new graphics cards.

Associate
OP
AMD have done a lot of work to bring themselves at least up to parity with Nvidia for features over the past couple of years. Things like ShadowPlay that used to be big wins for Nvidia now have an AMD equivalent (ReLive). You could even argue that AMD's software package is outright better at this point, with things like WattMan that require third party tools with Nvidia. Of course, there's the RTX features to consider, but the 2060 isn't even up to the task of running the ray tracing implementations we've seen so far at 1080p/60, let alone higher. DLSS could be argued as a useful thing to have, but personally I'd still favour turning down settings before ever using that. The results just aren't good so far.

For what it's worth, I sold my 1080 Ti on the MM just a few days ago and am back with AMD via the RX 580 I had sitting around, and I haven't found myself missing anything. Well, apart from the obvious performance gap there. :p
I wonder, so i have had nvidia cards for ever now, last AMD/ATI card i had was the 9700pro! So AMD cards have no drawbacks compared to Nvidia? I always hear about Cuda Cores, now i know that's Nvidia tech, does AMD have a similar tech? I'm really just a bit clueless. Is there anything an Nvidia card can do that an AMD card cant? Is that a silly question? Im just a bit wary of swapping to AMD and im not sure why......

I know the 2060 RTX features are useless but it seemed like a great performer, i would never use the RTX features anyway, i barely play any big games.

Back
Top Bottom