Halfords socket set

Associate
Good Evening all,
I’m looking at purchasing a new socket set and I’m swinging towards the Halfords range. Is there much difference between the 175 set and 200 set for the home mechanic? Also does anyone have a rough idea of price for each set in the trade card discount?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Can't really help with your questions but just to say I've had my Halfords professional set for best part of 30 years
Only items I've had to replace is the 3/8 ratchet as it broke due to user error... I hit it with a hammer!

Think I paid £125 back in the early 90s.

Soldato
191 or 247 with trade card then it says apply 25% discount on this at checkout as a trade card exclusive so these are dropping to 143 and 185 inc vat currently.

The discount is nowhere near what it used to be on some items (bulbs, wipers) but from memory 20% sounds about right on tools.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought my 150 piece back in probably about 2006 ish reduced from £150 to £99.99. They did these offers often in the Jan sales etc. I've still got every piece but got one ratchet replaced and the allen keys got lost. The plastic box it came in split in half but I have each half in my tool chest one in each drawer.
When people say things paid for themselves... I cannot emphasize how much this has. The amount of jobs and DIY and home mech stuff I have done with it is actually unreal. Gets my vote.

Soldato
I’ve had mine at least ten years and regularly use it across my 4 motorcycles, car and van over the years. There’s barely a week I’m not using something in it, and the majority has been great. I’ve had to replace a few individual bits but overall they’re great.

Go for it.

Associate
I've had the Halfords Advanced 150 Piece Tool Kit or over 11 years. The plastic case gave out before any of the tools. I purchased a the upgraded Halfords case with the metal clips and it's still in use today. Well happy.

Associate
I've had the Halfords Advanced 150 Piece Tool Kit or over 11 years. The plastic case gave out before any of the tools. I purchased a the upgraded Halfords case with the metal clips and it's still in use today. Well happy.
Same experience here. Plastic worn away so that the sockets all fall out when you pick up the case :p Sockets are all spot on though!

Man of Honour
Another recommendation for the Halfords Advance 150. Love mine. It's about 12 years old and going strong.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
Another +1 for Halfords Adanced. Really quality bits and the one time I had a ratchet fail just took it into store and they replaced it on the spot with no fuss at all.

Soldato
Is there much difference between the 175 set and 200 set for the home mechanic

depends how advanced you are, most home mechanics would never use the vast majority of the set since you often need the same few sizes over and over. I seem to mostly need 10mm, 13mm, 17mm, 19mm and most of my socket sets never get used

Associate
I've owned the 150 piece set for 10+ years and its been great.

In hindsight, the 200 piece set would've been a better buy as there was a couple of E sockets I've had to source separately which caught me out when working on my cars suspension.

Soldato
Think mines the 170 set, had it nearly 7 years now I reckon.

No idea if Halfords still do the sales on them, but I seem to recall that thing's like black Friday had maybe 50% off?

Caporegime
My Adv 150Pc Socket Set was £140 with discount. You can view the discount prices online if you login.

I've not had any of these break, but I have broke a tool before. No questions asked, just replaced immediately. Really handy.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
191 or 247 with trade card then it says apply 25% discount on this at checkout as a trade card exclusive so these are dropping to 143 and 185 inc vat currently.

The discount is nowhere near what it used to be on some items (bulbs, wipers) but from memory 20% sounds about right on tools.
Thanks for the advice. I managed to create an online account and linked my trade card. They had a promo where you get a free screwdriver set. In the end it set me back £185.64 for the 200 piece set including the screwdriver set. Not a bad price

Soldato
I've had my 150 piece Pro set since around 2003, so before the 200 piece one was even available. It's seen a load of use and abuse on a wide variety of cars over the years and is still going strong. The only annoyance is the stupid bit of foam you have to put on top of the socket section before closing and picking it up otherwise all the sockets fall out.

Back
Top Bottom