Handing PCP Car Back Early

Associate
OP
You can only VT it once you've paid half of the total including interest and fees, so you may find out that's wrong. It's not simply half the cost of the vehicle/once you've paid back half the balance borrowed.
That is half the total amount payable. I checked the finance agreement and that is the value stated in the VT section of the agreement. I didn't half the vehicle cost with the values above.

Take note of the condition of Everything, take pics and make sure you are there when it is inspected.
Also, as mentioned above, if there is any calculated mileage excess, they will chase you for it.
Legally it is claimed you do not have anything extra to pay in your statutory rights, but they will try.

With Excess mileage which i dont think i will have, do i just ignore them. What happens if the refuse to take the car until i pay any possible excess mileage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
That is half the total amount payable. I checked the finance agreement and that is the value stated in the VT section of the agreement. I didn't half the vehicle cost with the values above.

With Excess mileage which i dont think i will have, do i just ignore them. What happens if the refuse to take the car until i pay any possible excess mileage?

Good good, as you have found out it's there in the small section about VT. That's a good route to go down as it wipes out any negative equity you're in and essentially works out like a lease for the period you've had the car.

Get on google and have a good search for 'VT damage', 'VT excess miles', especially the links on MoneysavingExpert (MSE) or on legal beagles forum. Lots of good info out there.

The GF is having her picked up next week and it's been off the road, with our process going:

1. Call Audi and ask how close to 50% figure she was.
2. Audi realise what for and say when do you want to VT.
3. She pays the difference to get to 50% level (if kept until accrued naturally in a few months then it would be due first MOT and a major service).
4. Audi sends through confirmation of VT and lists info about damage and BVRLA guidelines.
5. BCA auction call to confirm inspection date and pickup.
6. Come and pickup at some point, then you argue about damage/excess mileage.

Note: They might send you a pack of documents to sign to confirm VT. DON'T SIGN THESE, it's essentially a mini new contract where you agree to pay for damages and pickup of the car. Your obligation under CCA is purely to notify them of VT in writing and pay the 50%. That's it.

Note: They might try and force you to pay pickup fee for the car or try other tricks to get you drop off car at auction. It's all rubbish. Once you've payed 50% and notified them off VT by writing then that is the VT confirmed and your obligations complete. Once confirmed then sign the V5C over to the name of the finance company on DVLA website, aka change of owner. tax will cancel itself, then you cancel your insurance at an appropriate point.

Note: BVRLA guidelines are for lease cars, not PCP/HP being VT'd and the CCA has clauses in section 99 and 100 about once you've paid 50% your liability is limited to that under law as long as you have taken 'reasonable care'. If they charge you for fixes from anal BVRLA guidelines then technically car will be in better than reasonable condition, plus you have no contract with them anymore as any terms in your finance agreement become void once you've declared to them your VT'ing and paid the 50% level. They will likely try and sting you for damage, but you can argue it and might have to fight them with court etc if they become bar stewards and put a default on your account for not paying damage etc.

I'll let you know how it all goes when they inspect it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Good good, as you have found out it's there in the small section about VT. That's a good route to go down as it wipes out any negative equity you're in and essentially works out like a lease for the period you've had the car.

Get on google and have a good search for 'VT damage', 'VT excess miles', especially the links on MoneysavingExpert (MSE) or on legal beagles forum. Lots of good info out there.

The GF is having her picked up next week and it's been off the road, with our process going:

1. Call Audi and ask how close to 50% figure she was.
2. Audi realise what for and say when do you want to VT.
3. She pays the difference to get to 50% level (if kept until accrued naturally in a few months then it would be due first MOT and a major service).
4. Audi sends through confirmation of VT and lists info about damage and BVRLA guidelines.
5. BCA auction call to confirm inspection date and pickup.
6. Come and pickup at some point, then you argue about damage/excess mileage.

Note: They might send you a pack of documents to sign to confirm VT. DON'T SIGN THESE, it's essentially a mini new contract where you agree to pay for damages and pickup of the car. Your obligation under CCA is purely to notify them of VT in writing and pay the 50%. That's it.

Note: They might try and force you to pay pickup fee for the car or try other tricks to get you drop off car at auction. It's all rubbish. Once you've payed 50% and notified them off VT by writing then that is the VT confirmed and your obligations complete. Once confirmed then sign the V5C over to the name of the finance company on DVLA website, aka change of owner. tax will cancel itself, then you cancel your insurance at an appropriate point.

Note: BVRLA guidelines are for lease cars, not PCP/HP being VT'd and the CCA has clauses in section 99 and 100 about once you've paid 50% your liability is limited to that under law as long as you have taken 'reasonable care'. If they charge you for fixes from anal BVRLA guidelines then technically car will be in better than reasonable condition, plus you have no contract with them anymore as any terms in your finance agreement become void once you've declared to them your VT'ing and paid the 50% level. They will likely try and sting you for damage, but you can argue it and might have to fight them with court etc if they become bar stewards and put a default on your account for not paying damage etc.

I'll let you know how it all goes when they inspect it.

Thanks for all the info and let me know how it goes. I know i have over 6 months till i can give back but i want it to go as smoothly as possible so i can get on with my next car. I have a few scratches on the car mainly the boot where the dog has caught it jumping in and out. Don't know if they will hammer me for them.

Possibly looking to HP a car after this one goes back to bring my monthly payments down by £100 or so. Would VT effect my finance applications going forward? Probably going to go with my current bank.

Soldato
PCP deals with dealer discounts aren't any worse than just getting a loan imho

You do need those dealer discounts though!

Sainsburys 3.0%
Tesco Bank 3.1%
Audi 3.2%
BMW 3.9%

Soldato
Thanks for all the info and let me know how it goes. I know i have over 6 months till i can give back but i want it to go as smoothly as possible so i can get on with my next car. I have a few scratches on the car mainly the boot where the dog has caught it jumping in and out. Don't know if they will hammer me for them.

Possibly looking to HP a car after this one goes back to bring my monthly payments down by £100 or so. Would VT effect my finance applications going forward? Probably going to go with my current bank.

No problem, glad I can help.

Yeah you're not in any major rush so can plan for it.

The TT has similar marks from the dog jumping in without a protective towel down, but I've given them a little cut back with some polish to remove how obvious they are, then put a filler type product on to hide them further. Don't worry unless they're huge gouges like a werewolf has gone at the boot.

Grab some Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish, it's a great all in one polish/filler which really does do wonders with paintwork and fine marks.

All that happens with VT on your credit file is that they mark it as settled and terminated. It's not a bad thing and won't affect you're credit rating, but there is a chance that a car finance company might not be a fan of it. It's a big 'might' though and shouldn't affect your application as they'll be selling you a car anyway and will be happy to get the money!

VT happens more than people realise as it's essentially what they can do when the dealership calls you 6 months before the end of your 3/4 years PCP offering a deal on a new car. They push through a VT as long as you've payed over 50% then you get a new car.

Associate
OP
have you got a settlement figure yet? how much is the car worth, worst case WBAC?
Haven't looked into getting a settlement figure but if i were to hand it back now if the remaining total amount payable to buy the car were to be paid it would be £10500 excluding any option to buy fee. Auto trader is telling me the car is only worth 9k now. Its going back for definite in October wouldnt want hassle of selling it.

Associate
from what i remember it wont be all your remaining payments added up, its definately less than that. You should definately get a settlement first, they will do it over the phone, takes literally 5 mins. Compare that to WBAC etc to weigh up where your really at instead of guessing. If your buying another car of the same marque then you can expect to easily beat the WBAC numbers.

If you do it this way you wont have any VT charge shenanigans to worry about. Certainly way less hassle.

Soldato
If you do go the VT route, then when you hand back the car, take photo's and video of it's condition inside and out along with all paperwork/SH etc. 'Some' providers view VT's as an opportunity to try and charge for extra's as it's seen as easy money - 3 months after hand over I was told all doc's/SH had been lost, the parcel shelf was missing and it had damage to the rear bumper and I needed to pay some obscene amount or be taken to small claims court. When I finished laughing I printed/sent over a selection of the high res photo's taken in the auctioneers car-park and offered to send them the full album and HD video and explained i'd love to go to SCC, but I would be requesting the hearing was local to me as is my right. Within 24hrs shouty lady without a manager to escalate the call to turned into my new best friend, she couldn't apologise enough and explained it must have been a big mistake.

Associate
OP
No problem, glad I can help.

Yeah you're not in any major rush so can plan for it.

The TT has similar marks from the dog jumping in without a protective towel down, but I've given them a little cut back with some polish to remove how obvious they are, then put a filler type product on to hide them further. Don't worry unless they're huge gouges like a werewolf has gone at the boot.

Grab some Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish, it's a great all in one polish/filler which really does do wonders with paintwork and fine marks.

All that happens with VT on your credit file is that they mark it as settled and terminated. It's not a bad thing and won't affect you're credit rating, but there is a chance that a car finance company might not be a fan of it. It's a big 'might' though and shouldn't affect your application as they'll be selling you a car anyway and will be happy to get the money!

VT happens more than people realise as it's essentially what they can do when the dealership calls you 6 months before the end of your 3/4 years PCP offering a deal on a new car. They push through a VT as long as you've payed over 50% then you get a new car.
How did you get on?

Soldato
How did you get on?

Auction company picked up the car and did their appraisal. She took some photos, played around with her ipad and presented an invoice for circa £250 of work/damage that she wanted me to sign for.

Refused to sign which put her back a bit, then she just said 'I'll put down customer refuses to sign and disputes damage assessment'. They took it away the following day.

Invoice through now from the finance company yesterday, so the next stage of the games begin :D

Soldato
What damages did they list, did you get a copy listing them?

Scuffed alloys, ding on the swage line of bonnet and scuff on front splitter. No copy listing anything, just an invoice from finance company with plenty of silly phrases saying what is to be charged, BVRLA standards, agreements, contracts and rubbish.

Template letter form legal beagles forum ready to go off to them and start the fight back. It's only £300, but still worth a fight for the time being given the CCA legislation regarding VT and being liable for only 50% of the total value as long as the vehicle is in reasonable condition.

Associate
OP
Scuffed alloys, ding on the swage line of bonnet and scuff on front splitter. No copy listing anything, just an invoice from finance company with plenty of silly phrases saying what is to be charged, BVRLA standards, agreements, contracts and rubbish.

Template letter form legal beagles forum ready to go off to them and start the fight back. It's only £300, but still worth a fight for the time being given the CCA legislation regarding VT and being liable for only 50% of the total value as long as the vehicle is in reasonable condition.

Literally just curbed mine last week and will be getting it fixed in the summer before terminating in October. Trying to work any scratches out between now and then also as i dont want to see a ridiculous charge for fixing minor wear and tear. Got 2 small dings in door one i will use a dent puller my dad has other has chipped the paint. Await your final outcome hope you get it sorted

Soldato
guide is interesting https://www.drive-electric.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Fair_Wear_Tear.pdf

Dents
Dents (up to 10mm) are acceptable provided there are no more than two (2)
per panel and the paint surface is not broken.
Dents on the roof or swage line on any panels are not acceptable.
Scratches
Scratches and abrasions up to 25mm are acceptable, relative to the
vehicle’s age and mileage, and provided the primer or bare metal is not
showing.
Moulding, wheel arch trims
Scuffs and scratches up to 25mm are acceptable provided the moulding or
trim is not broken, cracked or deformed

Wheels and wheel trims
Dents and holes on wheel rims and wheel trims
are not acceptable.
Scuffs totalling up to 50mm on the total
circumference of the wheel trim and on alloy wheels are acceptable.
Any damage to the wheel spokes and the hub of the alloy wheel is not
acceptable

Back
Top Bottom