Hands up those who are wasting time...

Ken

Ken

Associate
Why?

Is it me or are there way too many people on forums in general trying to come across in a particular way to other members? Each post of theirs shapes their online personality that they want noticed desperately.

I'm not taking the **** out of the members with huge post counts. It can be fun to browse forums especially this one but there are those who seem to think their online life is far more important than real life. Fact is the majority are strangers and it's a waste of time putting so much effort into each post.

Discuss.

Caporegime
I waste a lot of time on here, hardly get any work done hehe.....seeing as i absolutely detest all the paperwork and meetings i have get through a day.

/me looks around to see if the boss is watching me:p

Mind you my boss is pretty cool, well hes a mate of mine and he knows that i get the work done...maybe not while im at work but i do get it done.

Soldato
I've been wasting time since 8.30 this morning :D and have accomplished pretty much nothing all day. I just really can't be bothered with work anymore

Ken

Ken

Associate
OP
Hey, I'm at work too and I'm browsing the forums too of course. We're all having fun. :)

Sorry, badly worded post. I meant the members trying to hard to be noticed in a certain way are wasting their time.

Caporegime
I started a new job this week. Trouble is no-one seems to know what to do with me so I hopped on the net and had a post here, which completely contradicts their ICT policy. Whoops. :D

Soldato
why is it a waste of time, i find it pretty narrow minded what you said : /
i know someone online more than i know anybody in the world in real life, and i've met him once (after meeting him online). i'd consider myself hugely better off for knowing this man. you're wrong i think :(

Edit : after reading in more detail, i aint quite sure what you mean : p, but still, online talk is still talk, and usually more interesting and solvent than talking to "friends" in real life.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Ken said:
Fact is the majority are strangers and it's a waste of time putting so much effort into each post.
It is in no way a waste of time putting effort into what you do. I enjoy reading these forums. I like to be helpful and insightful where I may be. Putting effort into what I find enjoyable is not a waste of time. A man who loves his car spends a few hours once or twice a week washing, waxing, and generally maintaining his vehicle. Is he wasting his time? He enjoys the time spent.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Ken said:
Why?

Is it me or are there way too many people on forums in general trying to come across in a particular way to other members? Each post of theirs shapes their online personality that they want noticed desperately.

I'm not taking the **** out of the members with huge post counts. It can be fun to browse forums especially this one but there are those who seem to think their online life is far more important than real life. Fact is the majority are strangers and it's a waste of time putting so much effort into each post.

Discuss.
Why is it a waste of time putting effort into a post?

I often a fair bit of time and effort into a post. Why? Because I feel I can help, or throw some light on a subject, or put a different perspective to a debate/discussion .... or just because I have a particular point I want to make.

Everybody on here is a stranger to me. I've never met anyone from here, and never will. But it doesn't stop me regarding some people as "friends". Take Dirtydog, for example. Please. (Just kidding, Dirtydog :D). He and I regularly disagree over things, but we can have a serious discussion about emotive issues, and still do it in a civilised way. I regard him as a "friend". Or Freefaller ..... I regularly tease him, and he regularly teases right back. Another friend.

Those are two names I mention totally at random, but there's a lot that fall into that class that I didn't mention. There's even some that I don't interact with very much, but nonetheless who's posts I thoroughly enjoy reading, often because they challenge my thinking.

Coming to a forum such as this is not, to me, in any sense a waste of time. I'm here because, for the most part, it's a good bunch of people and I like it here. I'm here because I get something from it - namely, the reaction and interrelation of a diverse range of people from diverse backgrounds.

As soon as it becomes a waste of time, I won't bother coming here.

And as for "trying to come across in a particular way", well, nuts to that. I am who I am, and people can like it or lump it.

And no way is forum life, to me at least, more important than real life. It doesn't come anywhere close. But that doesn't mean forum activity is a waste of time. Far from it. I come here, I discuss and debate, and often ... learn something. That is NEVER a waste of time.

Soldato
I always waste a part of each day on here just to fill in the gaps at work. Always good to read the "latest" jokes too :p

I shall be going to atleast one of the meets this year so get to see what the members are like rather than having to make assumptions

Soldato
Can someone point me in the direction of one of these desk jobs where you can just browse the forums all day instead of working please? :D

I do it anyway so it would be nice to get paid to do it, and everyone else seems to be doing it and i'm missing out! :p

Soldato
I'm wasting time too :o

Home alone this week and I'm spent most of this morning playing that stupid gridlock puzzle thingy followed by half heartedly emptying the dishwasher.

Now I'm just back from the shops with a handful of items and I forgot to post a letter.

So in essence I've done nothing since 9am :>

Associate
Some people might not be themselves on the forums, but isn't that up to them? Its not real life so you can show a part of your personality that doesn't come out much or you don't feel comfortable showing. I'm not always myself because I have to hold back on what I post a lot, I'm not wasting my time though.

Soldato
i overslept this morning.. didn't get in till about 10 (hour late). .. have done maybe an hours work so far... and will be leaving early so i can pop to tesco's to buy snacks and vodka before the match

the university i work for is lucky to have me :D

Soldato
Ken said:
Sorry, badly worded post. I meant the members trying to hard to be noticed in a certain way are wasting their time.
If you have something to say to certain individuals, why don't you just come out and say it rather than wasting *other* people's time?

Back
Top Bottom