Hard drive not appearing

Associate
Hi guys,

I got my computer working again after all the support from everyone on the forum! So thanks for that. I am having one problem though. My secondary hard drive that I have installed is not showin in disk management or in the BIOS all I am getting shown in the bios is IDE Channel 1 Master [ST3200820AS] which is my main hard drive that has the operating system installed. I am sure it is installed in the computer correctly using SATA. (The same as my other hard dive) and it has power going to it so I don't understand. If I can recal correctly I remember having problems with this hard drive when I first bought it but this was years ago and can't remember how I got around it. If anyone knows a solution please let me know.

The hard drive not working is a SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1tb

Associate
OP
I will try and change the SATA cable again, already tired this but didnt work but will try again anyway. The only thing is I remember there being a problem with this when I first got it. I think there was something I had to download for it to work. I have looked again but had no luck. Can't even find drivers for the HD

Associate
OP
There is a fairly loud grinding sound, not really sure how to describe it but its not noise coming from the fans... I've done a quick google search and they say this could be the hard drive failing? could be something to do with it?

Associate
Grinding noises? Unfortunately that's not a good sign. First of all try swapping your cables e.g. new sata and another power from the psu if you have 1 spare. Then as Snips86x said you could check out the controller. It will be in the bios somewhere, possibly under devices or HDD features somewhere.

If all that fails you could whip it out and try using a USB caddy to mount it onto another machine.

Associate
I get the problem my HDD doesn't show up? I've installed my OS onto my SSD, which is found.
It's all installed properly and i can find it on my MSI mini-Operating system, but not on disk management of my windows 7?

Associate
OP
Grinding noises? Unfortunately that's not a good sign. First of all try swapping your cables e.g. new sata and another power from the psu if you have 1 spare. Then as Snips86x said you could check out the controller. It will be in the bios somewhere, possibly under devices or HDD features somewhere.

If all that fails you could whip it out and try using a USB caddy to mount it onto another machine.

I will see if this helps, so frustrating because I have a lot of data on this hard drive I want access to.

Associate
I have seen abuilt into bios utility IIRC, called SMART, I have had it on two mobos that I know of so far, may be a standard thing nowadays, and I am sure it checks the health of your HDD if you have it enabled. Could be worth a look at your bios settings.

I have had it tell me in the past my HDD was bad.....that had a slight grinding noise to it tbh.

Associate
OP
I've tried changing the cabels and double checking its all correct inside the case and its fine. The grinding noise I think is coming from the other hard (one with operating system on) This drive is very old and I can probably get shot of it when I get the samsung F3 working. Is there any compatibility isseus with the GA-970A-DS3 motherboard and samsung F3's??? As I remember there was with my old motherboard.

Associate
OP
Shouldn't be your problem (Your chipset isn't on the list), check if it shows in the BIOS if it does then Windows needs a kick up the ass.

Yeah that's what I thought... I couldnt see it in the bIOS either... not sure if im checking correctly tho..

All I am getting shown in the bios is IDE Channel 1 Master [ST3200820AS] which is my main hard drive

RHS

RHS

Associate
If the HDD is sounding like a coffee grinder in Starbucks suffice to say its probably knackered.

The sound is a dead give away and the fact it's not detected in the bios, only other thing that might kick it out if the Hdd is set to master and you have another IDE device on the same cable set to master as well. One should be master the other should be slave, you need to check the jumpers on the IDE devices, usually they set to auto sense.

Good luck!

Associate
Sounds like it is one dead HDD.

I wouldn't waste anymore time on it. Get a replacement and recover data from your latest backup, assuming you have a backup.

Back
Top Bottom