[Hardware Help Required] Stuttering since windows 10 upgrade + some mp4's not playing anymore [Whirl

Associate
Okay so i own both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. I was earlier on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. I upgraded my GPU to a ASUS Geforce GTX970. Everything started to work superbly. I could play every VR game on max settings and had no issues what so ever.

My other hardware includes:
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor @ 4.40GHz
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9
1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
BeQuiet Dark Rock 2 CPU Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2)
Corsair 2013 Edition Gamer Series GS 600W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

I then upgraded my computer to the free Windows 10 upgrade that it kept bugging me to do.

Since the update i am having multiple issues in VR only!

Firstly, some videos that i used to watch in Whirligig, do not work anymore. Its weird because all the 180 degrees SBS 3d videos that i played before have stopped working, they load up and the time keeps passing by but there is no video or audio. Whats weird is that there is also a few 3-4 videos that work absolutely fine even though they are exactly the same format (.mp4).

Another issue I'm having since the upgrade is that games will start of playing fine in VR, but after maybe 20-30mins i will instantly start to get stuttering and FPS drops can be quite horrible.

Ive made sure that i switched my fan on the machine from Auto to manual and have it now on full. Also i use the Asus GPU Tweak Tool for overclocking the GPU and I've made sure that is also set on Overlock settings and not the silent gaming mode.

Changing the above settings maybe has helped by adding an extra 10mins to my gaming time, but the stuttering is still happening after this time.

So i have no idea whats causing this since the windows upgrade, the GPU is brand new and only around a month old.

Is the GPU faulty? Starting to show early signs of death? Is another setting somewhere causing the issues in windows 10 that i may not be aware of?

The room itself is very cool and not hot at all.

PS:- My final question is will the new Graphics Cards from nVidia such as 1080 etc... work with my current Processor, motherboard etc...?

Also is it possible for me to upgrade my processor only at the moment and keep the motherboard etc as it all is?

Thanks!

Soldato
Make sure your pc is using the latest motherboard drivers and other intel drivers for windows 10. Visit the motherboard makers site and look for windows 10 drivers for that board. Also make sure the USB, sound & storage drivers are windows 10 drivers and updated.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah okay that could be an issue i guess, so does that mean i have to first uninstall all the current drivers (which would be for windows 7) and then reinstall them all for windows 10?

Im particularly interested in the USB drivers you mention, i know it won't fix the stuttering issue however, i am having another issue currently with my Oculus Rift!

When i first boot up my PC, i have to take out the Rifts USB and then put it back in, i then have to restart the PC, only then the rift is recognised as being plugged in and the green light is shown otherwise it stays red.

Associate
OP
okay I've used a program called Driver Easy to update all the drivers on my pc to the latest ones. The majority of them were out of date.

I have not yet tested the stuttering issue, i will try that today and see if its gone or still there.

I did however manage to fix the USB issue with the Rift, for some reason if i use the USB 2.0 slot then it works fine and i don't need to reset etc...

After upgrading drivers or doing something, i have a really weird problem now though, the following keys on my Cyborg V7 keyboard have stopped working at all = ctrl, alt, shift, windows key.

Everything else seems to work fine apart from these keys. Any idea whats causing this? Ive already checked for sticky keys in the settings, it is off. Ive also tried re-installing the drivers for the keyboard but windows will just choose the HID drivers.

Back
Top Bottom