Hardware modems

Associate
Can anyone recommend a modem that will work under linux for using Hyla Fax? Failing that can anyone recommend a place to get one (is ebay any good for that sort of thing?)

Thanks

p.s. I know this is more of a hardware question but as I'm trying to get a specific peice of software running and it's the software element (the drivers) that'll be the problem I thought this'd be the place to ask

Caporegime
Buy any old external serial 56K modem on ebay and it'll be fine.

You can try a PCI hardware modem, but they're much harder to find because it's hard to distinguish a hardware modem from a software one, especially on the 'bay.

Associate
OP
Are the linux drivers for serial modems fairly generic?

I've never installed a serial modem under linux but am guessing HOW-TOs will abound once I've found the right driver

Caporegime
A proper hardware modem has an absolutely standard instruction set, so it will work with generic drivers that are - as I recall - built into Linux. I don't quite recall how it works, as it was a long time ago when I did it, but it's pretty simple. What distribution are you using? Something like Ubuntu will have it all built in I would think.

Associate
OP
No I'm using Debian, it's already running as a Server but now they want all faxes to be handled digitally so I've got to put an old modem on to it - and I prayed that I'd never have to deal with that out moded sort of junk again!

Back
Top Bottom