Harman-Kardon Soundstick III upgrade

Soldato
Hey folks, currently running my HK Soundsticks as I have for 3 years now and wanting to upgrade. I was looking very closely at the Edifier S1000DB as I wanted to go for a 2.0 set up, but unfortunately I think they're too big. I'm space limited on my desk, which is what's causing me issues with finding a replacement - I think it's going to force me to go down the 2.1 route again. I looked at the Edifier E235, but it doesn't seem to review great for the price. I listen to Rock (ranging from old school Led Zepp, AC/DC, Black Sabbath etc) to current rock/prog rock/metal etc, play movies and games (but the games is the least important as I mostly use my Audio Technica ATH-M50X). Ideally I'm looking at spending ~£200, but I'm not averse to spending more if it's worth it.

Any recommendations and why?

Soldato
tbh I would recommend you go for larger standmounts, rather than smaller bookshelf + subwoofer. The former will typically sound better.

Try and make some space.

Maybe standmount speakers, 6.5" woofer, 1" treble driver, with a T-Amplifier?

Soldato
OP
Headed back into work now, I'll take a pic of my desk area this evening and post up -- but seriously, not much. I have a 34" ultrawide and 24" monitor on my desk D:

Associate
Audioengine A2+ are recommended when you read reviews online but I'd agree with another forum member here and say they're a bit pricey for their size. Ideally we'd pick you slightly larger near-field studio monitors speakers.

Associate
If its for a bedroom then size doesn't matter its all about the sound we have a pair of Ruark MR1 MK2's in our bedroom and they sound amazing for there size. Was looking at the Dali zen 1's but suppose to sound awful at lower volume without much Bass, The Ruarks as small as they are they do pack a punch for the size on Atacama stands up again'st the Wall

Soldato
Really difficult to do anything there, without either getting another smaller monitor to match the left one, or just have one monitor. As it is now, I can't see how you're going to get speakers with 4" woofers in, like the Edifier's you mentioned without placing the right one in front of the monitor; and don't think about placing it behind. :p

I've seen some people mention they might do that when they have very little space. It's not a good idea at all. :p

Audioengine A2+ are pretty small so they might fit. They're 11cm wide so smaller than the Edifier's and other speakers with 4" woofers. They get a lot of good reviews and comments, but they're not cheap for such a small speaker at £200.

Associate
Why does everyone ditch the smaller speakers jesus at the end of the day. Its what the sounds is like coming out of them that matters not everybody got room for big speakers

Associate
Check out some previous threads on here:

I don't think there's much choice of passive speakers that will come under 200mm in height. I can only think of Monitor Audio Radius 90. They are £350 though and you'd still need an amplifier; so you might end up spending £500+ on those.

Some active/powered speakers with 3" woofers, like Audioengine A2+, might be the best choice given the height restriction. Good small speakers, although not a patch on the Radius 90. Certainly more budget friendly though.

If smaller speakers are more appealing, then Audioengine A2+ or Kanto YU2 are worth a look.

Both the A2+ and YU2 have a built in DAC. Means they have their own on-board sound processing and don't need to use that of the PC. No need to consider an external one.

There are some other good speakers, such as Q Acoustics BT3 and Steljes NS1 and NS3. They might not be the ideal choices here though, as none have USB input. All three have Bluetooth, but only the BT3 has wired input as well for access to it's DAC. That's optical though, which the Zotac doesn't have. Without spending more money on a separate DAC, you'd have to use Bluetooth. Audioengine A2+ and Kanto YU2 both have USB input, so can be just plugged straight into the PC.

Size wise, Steljes NS1 is smaller and about the same size as the A2+ and YU2, whereas NS3 and QA BT3 are a bit larger and similar size to the Edifier speakers mentioned previously.

Maybe consider the Mackie CR3's or way at the other end of the price range the Ruark MR1's too.

Soldato
So am I looking at the A2+ or nothing then? :o Are they going to be a worthwhile upgrade from the soundsticks?

Sorry, I missed what you put under the picture about managing to find 6" to the right side of the monitor. Looking at it, it doesn't look as much as that. :o

Anyway, that does you give you more choice than what I originally thought looking at the picture. Edifier 1000DB are fairly large speakers being around 8" wide, but you could probably fit in Edifier's smaller speakers, like the R1600T III for example. They're a smidge over 6", so might just fit in. There are other models, some with Bluetooth some without. Whether Bluetooth input is something you were looking at I don't know.

If you don't need a Bluetooth connection, you could go for passive HiFi speakers and connect them to a small T amplifier. Something like a Topping VX2 and maybe a pair of Q Acoustics 2010i. They're 15cm wide, so a shade under 6". Around £160 for the both.

As for the A2+; they are still good speakers, but really are a better choice for someone needing a small stereo speaker. As you've got more space than I thought, you can do better for less.

Ruark MR1 mentioned above are also an option if you'd prefer powered speakers and a Bluetooth connection as well. £330 though, so not cheap, but they do get a lot of good comments.

Associate
Yeah I've gone with the Ruark MR1 mk2s, they should be here tomorrow ^_^
Good move i have them. Upgraded after owning the original MR1's after having them for 3 years they was very good. These seem to be better built. Vocals seem to be better. Crossover a lot better the cable that attaches both speakers i was using a sub cable for my last Ruarks and it wouldn't fit the new 1's so the connections at the back are better fitting. The power supply is a linear and not just a figure 8 adapter with a figure 8 plug. The lower end seems to be deeper and clearer. I wasn't to sure on the cloth Grill cause i liked the removable grill on the originals but seeing them on my Atacama stands they look very nice

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm not keen on the cloth at the front either, I think the mk1's looked nicer than these - but reviews say these are an improvement so that's what I went for :p
Currently running them in, already impressed with the mids and the overall clarity - the lows are surprisingly strong as well, which I wasn't expecting from such small speakers - I was expecting to need to add a sub but I think these might kick enough for me, I'll see how I get on with music/movies down the line.

Back
Top Bottom