Has anybody had success repairing inner tubes?

Soldato
Jesus that looked painfully slow, don’t know if I’m some kind of magician! But I can do a tyre change in no time at all, sometimes without a lever and have never damaged a tube doing it.

He is just taking his time to show how to do it. Without the straps and doing it at normal speed it takes no time at all.

Even really tight tyres go on quick and easy by hand. Generally if you are using tyre levers and damaging inner tubes to put a tyre on you are doing something wrong :)

Man of Honour
OP
Am I the only one who just replaces the tube?

Obviously I do.

I always carry a spare tube in my bag and I've got at least 6 spares for two different sizes.

I've had at the most, 8 punctures in 6 years over 5 different bikes and I cycle every day.

I will be getting a new repair kit to experiment with.
Thanks for the good advice once again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought 5 inertubes for £9 after British cycling discount from Halfords, I always have 2 in my saddle bag along with other essentials. Oddly the last puncture I had was on the turbo trainer (wheel on) in June but that won’t happen again as I’m picking up a Tacx Neo at the weekend :D

Soldato
Tubes will generally be fine with multiple repairs. When you start patching over patches that's the point to replace rather than needlessly adding to landfill.

Some bike shops may offer tube recycling, google is your friend.

Soldato
Jesus that looked painfully slow, don’t know if I’m some kind of magician! But I can do a tyre change in no time at all, sometimes without a lever and have never damaged a tube doing it.
He's showing a method on how to fit a tyre which is a known nightmare to fit - Schwalbe Marathon with a wire bead. I've got them fitted to the other halfs bike and they did take me a stupidly long time and lots of pain to fit! Worth it though as they're pretty bombproof (but quite heavy).

Depends on the tyre, most will go on by hand. Some tubeless mtb tyres can be a complete arse. Crank Brothers tyre levers are pretty damn good though.
Many road tubeless are tough to fit, at least as tough as in that video.

One of my pro tips - do it in the warm! Your hands hurt far less and the rubber is much more compliant making things loads easier! :)

As for tubes, I just replace when I'm out (actually carry 2 spares) and then when I've got a stockpile of them in my garage I'll have a bit of a repairing session. Say around 4-6 of them. With the £ tanking tubes are getting more expensive and more worth repairing. Aldi do a repair kit which is worth picking up, similar to the Halfrauds one, just cheaper. If you're buying the Halfords one at RRP then the Park Tools one is around the same price from wiggle and has better glue (but I think less patches?). The glue is 'rubber cement', if anyone's built airfix kits/warhammer models then you'll be familiar with it. Buying specific model glue is loads cheaper and usually better quality, just less portable. #protip

Used to buy tubes in bulk from ITS for around £1.20 each. Those days are long gone and my last few have been Spesh specific tubes for around £2 each on Ebay deals & bundles being sold as unbranded by Tredz/wheelies/etc

Soldato
I use slime tubes and haven't had a puncture since April (who needs tubeless?!).

I did get one the first ride I used them and whacked one of these on. It's still on and have had no issues, not leaking at all.

Back
Top Bottom