Has anybody worked with a career advisor or could they recommend a proven way to get good career adv

Associate
Hello all, I shall keep it short and sweet..

with the amount I've been looking at other job opportunities in completely different sectors and fields, I know something must be wrong and I'm not placed well to get to my 'dream job' not that I even know what that is yet.

I get contacted by plenty of recruiters about opportunities in my current field and have asked about the mechanisms they use but once they discover I'm after something else they're not willing to help me.

Has anybody sought any sort of professional help with regard to finding the perfect job/career path for them? Was it a waste of time and money or useful?

Currently I just seem to be broadening what I am looking at rather than narrowing it down which concerns me and I really want to get on track!

thanks

Soldato
I wouldn't pay for it, the internet can provide all the info you need.

If you want inspiration on the types of jobs available I would recommend.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/types_of_jobs.htm

They have large lists of occupations.

What is your background so far? If you are already in a company then just look around your companies career website to see if any of the jobs interest you and what they list are the requirements to get those jobs.

Associate
OP
thank you very much for the links guys, that's really helpful, I will hopefully get through them properly in the next day or two.

In terms of where I am now I am out of university a year with a 1st in computer science, I work for a consultancy company and currently working a contract at a large bank in London doing support / dev work. Problem is I hate sitting at a desk all day, pretty interested in health and nutrition so wondering if that's a direction I should go. I've also been fairly sought after for teaching, considering finishing my 2year contract, travelling for a year and then doing teach first. Pretty damn hard to know the right call..

Soldato
I would also like to say thank you for the links, I finish my masters in September and need to pull my finger out and see what I would actually like to do as a real adult (as currently I have no clue)

Back
Top Bottom