Has anyone attempted to become rich?

Soldato
The idea of retiring at 50 is a strange one because at that point you've already had kids and they're grown up, but they're probably not going to have kids of their own just yet.

Ideally you want to retire much earlier/have loads of money earlier so that you can provide the best for your kids from day 1. Otherwise you'd end up bored after a while, kids doing their own thing now that they're grown up (probably left home) so it's just you and possibly your partner

Caporegime
I would rather not be rich than to make a lot of money through crypto.

Even if I thought I could make a ton of money and it was a sure thing. Crypto is such a cancer on this planet I'd rather stay broke. It's literally useless except for wasting copious amounts of energy, something which it excels at.

The only way I could be rich and feel like I genuinely earned it would be to make something - like an app or whatever - that became really popular.

Since I don't make apps (or whatever) or in fact do anything semi creative at all, the chances of this happening are pretty low.

I guess I'm happy enough with the man's boot on my back. :p

Soldato
The idea of retiring at 50 is a strange one because at that point you've already had kids and they're grown up, but they're probably not going to have kids of their own just yet.

Ideally you want to retire much earlier/have loads of money earlier so that you can provide the best for your kids from day 1. Otherwise you'd end up bored after a while, kids doing their own thing now that they're grown up (probably left home) so it's just you and possibly your partner

How depressing. I want to earn money to enjoy my life and live the best life I can. Not to let my kids squirrel it away. Eugh!

Soldato
I'm not clever enough to work out this crypto lark so I'll just **** it off

Even if I thought I could make a ton of money and it was a sure thing. Crypto is such a cancer on this planet I'd rather stay broke. It's literally useless except for wasting copious amounts of energy, something which it excels at.

The only way I could be rich and feel like I genuinely earned it would be to make something - like an app or whatever - that became really popular.

Since I don't make apps (or whatever) or in fact do anything semi creative at all, the chances of this happening are pretty low.

I guess I'm happy enough with the man's boot on my back. :p

Not sure I wasted any electricity mining. I mined and created/earnt cryptocurrency which I then traded and then I withdrew a fairly large amount to help (not pay for but help) buy 2 restaurants and employ an extra 10 people (taking my total to over 50)

But dont worry Fox unless you win the lottery you'll never be rich

You've got a month a bit left, anywhere close yet??

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-5-year-plan-to-50k.18613933/page-20

All in good fun;):D

You've got better morals than me. I want to have **** you money so my kids and their kids etc dont have to worry about money.

Oh an a rrari for a daily driver...lol

Caporegime
@mattyg

All that computational power is essentially being wasted. We all know to a lesser or greater degree what "proof of work is".

The fact that the "work" can be made arbitrarily more difficult to ensure that coins aren't created too quickly tells you everything you need to know about the usefulness of the "work".

So yeah, energy used to create crypto coins is wasted, from where I'm sitting.

I'm not touching that other thread with a 10' pole, btw ;) It's dead to me.

I never wanted to be rich anyhow. My burning ambition in life is to not pay someone else's mortgage - that's literally all. If I end up paying someone else's mortgage I think I'd rather take a long jump off a short peer, and I'm not even joking. **** that. That's basically slavery for the 21st century.

Soldato
@mattyg

All that computational power is essentially being wasted. We all know to a lesser or greater degree what "proof of work is".

The fact that the "work" can be made arbitrarily more difficult to ensure that coins aren't created too quickly tells you everything you need to know about the usefulness of the "work".

So yeah, energy used to create crypto coins is wasted, from where I'm sitting.

I'm not touching that other thread with a 10' pole, btw ;) It's dead to me.

I never wanted to be rich anyhow. My burning ambition in life is to not pay someone else's mortgage - that's literally all. If I end up paying someone else's mortgage I think I'd rather take a long jump off a short peer, and I'm not even joking. **** that.

You know your on the internet right!
Using an electronic device
that, and I'm going to make a massive assumption here.....That you paid for... And that money somewhere along the line would be helping to pay for someone elses mortgage.

Even if you lived off the land in a mud hut with zero contact with the outside world.....Not having a job would still be helping the person that does have the job you would have been doing pay for their mortgage.

duff duff duff duff duff huh.............splash

Again all in good fun

Caporegime
You know your on the internet right!
Using an electronic device
that, and I'm going to make a massive assumption here.....That you paid for... And that money somewhere along the line would be helping to pay for someone elses mortgage.

Even if you lived off the land in a mud hut with zero contact with the outside world.....Not having a job would still be helping the person that does have the job you would have been doing pay for their mortgage.

duff duff duff duff duff huh.............splash

Again all in good fun
You know exactly what I mean.

There are honest way to pay your mortgage then there are over-leveraged BTL landlords. Which used to be most of them. But that's another story for countless other threads.

Soldato
Depends what you define as rich I suppose? 1 mill? 10 mill? etc. For me rich is enough to retire early, not so I can buy a Ferrari or big house but be confident in maintaining our living standard after we stop. By early I mean 20 years early, which I and my wife will do in 2 years - this was always our goal from our early 20's we are now both 46. We got here by planning, not being greedy and taking calculated risks with our jobs, but not risks like the stock market etc. We moved overseas, to Asia 15 years ago China, and then in 2012 Vietnam, where our skills were worth more, and costs of living and taxes lower. For us financially 1 year in Asia is worth approximately 3 in the UK. Therefore with sensible spending, and more than decade out here, we can retire 20 years early, especially as we are not going back to live in the UK when we do return to the EU.
I can't imagine anyone on earth being that organised and prepared for the future

Back
Top Bottom