Has anyone cut their grass yet?

Soldato
My last cut was October time, however with the mild winter we have been having the grass really needs cutting, however with it being also very wet I have held off.

The weather this week looks fairly favourable, if it stays dry until Saturday I may give the grass its first cut to just tidy things up a bit.

Just wondering if people have cut their grass since winter set in, or even if there is any hardcore grounds people who still cut their lawn throughout?

Soldato
Yep, cut at the weekend. As you say, it was fairly long (partly because my last cut of 2015 was quite early because it turned really wet).
Set to a high setting just to tidy it a little.

Actually, first time I've set foot in the back garden since last year, and found that parts of it are very sparse for some reason. My lawn has a combover basically. I guess I'll try giving it a good forking and throwing grass seed all over it, see if it does any good.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Did my last cut the week before Christmas knowing too well that the first spring cut is usually a pain. I did consider cutting it last weekend but I'll hold off for now. I do have a growing moss issue though so I don't want to leave it too long before I get the mower out.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yep, cut mine yesterday. Felt very odd to be doing it in Feb, but it was so sunny and it looked sorry for itself. The smell of cut grass really did make it feel quite summery.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Cut ours about Boxing Day, it was so ridiculously mild we were out back in the sunshine with a T-Shirt on and decided what better activity to do at Christmas.

Associate
Lawn has taken a battering this winter, too damp, mild spells, fall from the cedar and a mass moss infestation. Its looking really thin overall with large gaps in places. Sigh. Going to be fighting it this year for sure. Not mowed it yet but desperately needs it, its just not drying out.

Anyone got any sage advice on recovering this sort of fiasco?

Associate
Not yet, no. But it's not actually looking that unkempt at the moment, even though the last time it was mown was months ago. Will likely do it within a couple of weeks I think.

Soldato
Just over two weeks ago during the brief dry spell!

Probably should have left the back lawn as it was still a bit boggy and got chewed up, but seems to have recovered.

If the dry weather holds until the weekend, may go over again with a closer cut.

Soldato
I keep needing to go out and use my lawn spikes to get my lawn draining again - works really well but as I'm near the end of a small hill/valley the ground gets really compacted down so need to do it more regularly.

Hitman
Soldato
I've just done mine as our shared garden out the front was cut by someone a few days ago (neighbour is selling his house and no-ones living there, god knows who did it) and they decided to cut half of it, rather than all of it like I and the old neighbour used to do so looked a bit pants. Did the back quickly while I was at it.

Soldato
I did mine the other week as it does look a mess, have quite a moss problem in a few places so I kind of assumed shorted grass would help dry it out a bit... Die it at the highest setting on my Mountfield and will hopefully do it again this weekend if its dry enough.

Back
Top Bottom