1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has anyone got a Zalman Fan Mate 2

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Dilzem, 31 May 2006.

1. Dilzem

Associate

my comps back 120mm fan is loud was gonna get a fan mate the fan on the back has a molex for the power and the 3 pin connector only has 1 wire what would b the best way to sort this out back fans rpm is 1361 at the moment case i have is the thermalktake tsunami with the original fans

2. A.N.Other

Sgarrista

OMG! Are you allergic to punctuation? :eek:

1361 rpm is pretty slow already, so if it is too loud now, I doubt you will see that much improvement using the same fan. Probably the easiest solution would be to get a new fan - e.g. Akasa amber 120mm.

(Yes, I am a LINK)

3. Dilzem

Associate

It has to b one with blue leds cos i got a see through panel and it looks good with the led's but i cant find a 120mm with blue led's which is quieter so would it b pointless to get the fan mate for this fan

4. A.N.Other

Sgarrista

Well if the fan is powered by a molex then the Zalman FanMate 2 won't work on it (this requires it to be powered by a 3-pin mobo header). The one wire going through the 3-pin connector is only for monitoring the speeds and does not power the fan.

So, either do a 7V mod or get a new fan (or both if the new fan is too loud).

5. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

You dont have to buy a new fan. Do you have any 3 to 4 pin adaptors or 3 pin fan extension cables? If so chop the molex of then and solder the black and red wires from the fan to the black and red wires on the 3 pin cable, it can then be used with a fan controller.

6. A.N.Other

Sgarrista

Yes, that's fair enough. Most people don't have a soldering iron though.

7. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

I suppose not, might be able to borrow one from someone though, I dont own a soldering iron myself either

8. Dilzem

Associate

So if i do that 7v mod i put the red wire going to the yellow and a ground going to the red could i damage anything doing this

9. A.N.Other

Sgarrista

No. It's safe a long as you follow the guide.

The danger mentioned in there is only if you are testing the fan with only it plugged into the PSU.