Has anyone used one of the cheap Chinese projectors?

Soldato
You can get 1080p projectors on the Rainforest and other places for around £60.

I've been wondering about picking one up, obviously in the knowledge that it will be nowhere near as good as a proper branded projector, but can anyone let me know what to expect? Has anyone else tried one?

Man of Honour
Of the ones I have seen the insides of, they use a single three-colour LCD panel (think widescreen Tom Tom size to get a mental image) because it's significantly cheaper than using the colour-filtering and beam-splitter prism arrangement required by a 3 panel LCD projector.

With a single panel, the pixels are arranged side-by-side as they are on a TV. That's not a problem if the screen is being viewed from the other side of the room, or the display is small, but optically enlarging this type of display means that the image is always out of registration. (If you want to see the effect, spray some tiny droplets of water on your smart phone's display and note how you can see the pixels quite easily.) It doesn't help either that the pixels are relatively large compared to the panel size because the native resolution of the display is low. The native resolution is the physical number of pixels counting a red, green and blue cluster as 1. A lot of the sub £100 projectors use an 800x480 resolution panel. It's not native 1080p (1920x1080), so any support for HD resolution images requires the projector to downscale from 1080p to 480p. That's not good for detail and sharpness of image.

The light source is either a halogen lamp or LED. These things are quite crudely assembled, so the evenness of the illumination (called uniformity) is poor and the colour quality of the light is iffy to say the least. The centre is usually the brightest but the edges dim significantly.

The last part of the imaging chain is the final lens assembly. In a proper projector the lens assembly comprises several multi-coated elements. This helps with uniformity, and edge focus and reducing internal reflections which would reduce the contrast if left unaddressed. The cost of the lens assembly alone in a £500 projector would be equal to the entire cost of the cheaper budget projectors. Even then, those lenses aren't the best; they're made to a budget too.

Wrapping things up is the image processing electronics responsible for decoding the HDMI and analogue signals, rescaling the image and handling motion processing. As you can guess, you're not getting state of the art processing here.

I'll take nothing away from the factories that manage to produce these things. When you think that a company almost half a world away can make something for a profit, ship it thousands of miles, pay import duty and VAT plus sellers fees to Ebay or Amazon and still manage to sell these things for less than £50 delivered to your door it's an amazing feat. It also tells you (or should at least) that there's not a lot of cost in these things. It's true, you get what you pay for.

I think of these things as advanced toys. There's a novelty to them in that they make a reasonably large image for less than the price of a 22" TV. Anyone who hasn't seen proper projection might well be impressed. People with a bit more knowledge and experience might not be so bowled over.

Permabanned
Check out some reviews on youtube... The ultra cheap chinese projectors are terrible and basically junk. Just because they can accept a 1080p signal does not mean that they have 1080p resolution. I think if you can step up to around the £100 mark you will start to move out of the junk bracket and in to something that some people would find 'decent' (for the money).

Soldato
I have one it's good for cartoons very light in weight low on detail but good for what it is
mine is a 50 quid model Native Resolution 800x480p ideal size to watch about 60 inches
Take it on hoiliday find a plain wall / dark room usb stick of content all good :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmm, thanks all! I'm after something I can show films on maybe twice a year, so have no desire to spend too much. If you were going to spend, say, £150 tops on a projector (plus maybe another £50 for a screen) what would you do? Is 2nd hand the way to go?

Man of Honour
For your budget, I'd definitely consider second-hand. £150 for something new is simply going to buy fancier versions of the same low resolution 800x480 pixel-based projector you first had your eye on. It's money down the drain, IMO.

In the used market your choices will be between native 720p and native 1080p projectors. Have a look at the member's market at AVForums. Here are a few that fit your budget:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-vpl-hs10-317-lamp-hours.2233393/
This is a Sony WXGA 1280x800 three chip LCD projector, so it's classed as a 720p unit. It has low hours on the installed lamp and comes with a spare lamp too. The price is £150.

Pros: Low running cost thanks to the low hours and spare lamp. 3-chip LCD means no rainbow effect

Cons: Contrast is low by more modern standards. Limited to a maximum of 1080i resolution; that's fine for Sky/ Virgin/ streamers/ BD players but may be trickier with some consoles

https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-pt-ax200-spare-lamp-£150.2220232/
This Panasonic is another 3-chip LCD unit, but newer than the Sony. It's a true native resolution 720p unit. £175 with a spare (compatible) lamp.

Pros: Later tech, better contrast, higher brightness. Features lens shift which is incredibly useful for getting the picture lined up on screen without having to resort to electronic keystone correction.

Cons: Not a lot to complain at here for the money.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/optoma-hd-131xe-1080p-full-hd-3d-projector-£135-sold.2236414/ (SOLD @ £135)
Single chip DLP projector. Native 1080p. 2000 ANSI.

Pros: Brightest projector of the bunch here, and with the highest contrast ratio.

Cons: No lens shift.

The closer we get to this year the lower the price of budget projectors new. The Sony was £2000 when launched back in 2003, and that was considered cheap at the time. The Panasonic was around £900 new when launched in 2009. The spec was very good as there was a lot of competition around the £1000 mark from Sanyo, Hitachi, Optoma and others at 720p resolution. On the horizon though were the first of the native 1080p projectors, albeit at higher prices. The choice then was pay extra but sacrifice features such as lens shift, or stick with 720p and keep all the bells and whistles.

The Optoma launched in 2013 with a native 1080p panel @ £800. It was classed as an entertainment projector rather than being a home cinema projector like its bigger sibling the HD30. The difference between the two classes is that entertainment projectors are generally brighter but with lower contrast. Home cinema machines sacrifice brightness but gain better black level and improved contrast as a result. The HD30 was £1100.

Buying from the enthusiasts at AV Forums will generally mean you're dealing with someone who has looked after their gear. Ebay is more of a shot in the dark.

£50 for a 16:9 screen..... Nah.

Unless you drop incredibly lucky or you have low expectations, then even second-hand you're probably going to end up with someone's cast-off budget manual or cheap electric screen complete with poor light reflection and surface ripples.

You can see from the images in this listing* what ripples look like.

This Beamax 6ft frame screen* is excellent for the money, but may not be the most practical solution. This Beamax manual pulldown screen still has ripples but from the picture they don't look too awful. Beamax was a decent brand. Sadly the company went bump several years ago.

Personally, I'd steer clear of Panoview and Optoma screens (Panoview by another name). Lots were sold as cheap get-you-going package deals with Optoma projectors. I've installed a fair few and even from new they rippled. They're the same as most of the Chinese low cost pulldown screens.

[* Ebay listings, so the links will only work while the listings are live]

Man of Honour
I picked up a cheapy ELEPHAS (one of the better of the generic noname projectors) for a situation where I needed to display some information/simple video content without caring about the projector it is a very mixed bag - at short to medium range decent brightness and definition but very quickly at distance softens into a mess, colours aren't too bad for red and blue though it is like the saturation is dialled up but greens are almost grey in all too many cases some scenes come out actually looking quite good but others have a bit of a sickly hue as certain colour tones just aren't reproduced correctly. If you just want something to entertain the kids or a garden party (after dark) without having to worry about an expensive projector it isn't a terrible option but no replacement for a TV, etc. even a cheap TV is better for general viewing.

What surprised me a bit more - I paired it up with an uber cheap PVC screen ("Mileagea 72 inch 16:9 Portable Projection Screen Home Cinema PVC Fabric") and the screen isn't bad at all while it doesn't have the black levels, etc. of higher end screens it just does the job with nothing distracting, kind of like the stock projector screens from the days of 35mm slides and cinefilm, etc. - none of the weird colour speckling, reflections and so on I've found with other cheap screens.

More recently as I was moving house and had to pull down my old home cinema setup I got for temporary use another cheap screen but this time a floor standing tripod jobbie by Duronic which at first I was reasonably happy with but with more use less and less so - it has a very narrow range of tolerance for good viewing both in projector setup, content and the position the viewer is in relation to the screen and even a tiny bit outside of optimal the whole experience falls apart with noticeable surface scattering with lots of speckling and/or shimmering though the tripod itself is pretty decent though ironically so I might try and swap the screen out at some point for something better. Although it actually does quite a good job when you get everything perfect it just isn't a great experience when just moving your head slightly undoes it all.

I'm still rocking a Optoma HD70 (720p) for my main viewing - gonna hold out I think until proper 4K ones are reasonable price by which time there might be enough high quality video to really show the difference in resolution. If you can find one cheap in good condition and reasonable bulb life left I highly recommend them - I'm surprised mine is till working actually as I've had it since 2006 IIRC and rolled the bulb counter and it is still trooping away (albeit I've almost exclusively used it in high altitude + eco mode) - funny how I was quite paranoid about bulb lifetime when I bought it.

Associate
I bought an Elephas projector when it was on a amazon lightning deal for £135 last month for outdoor movie nights.
Perfect for what I want it for. I'm more than happy with it.

My daughter used it for a birthday sleepover on Saturday night. It was a bit too light outside when they started watching it, but it went down really well.

Get-Attachment-Thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I bought an Elephas projector when it was on a amazon lightning deal for £135 last month for outdoor movie nights.
Perfect for what I want it for. I'm more than happy with it.

My daughter used it for a birthday sleepover on Saturday night. It was a bit too light outside when they started watching it, but it went down really well.

Get-Attachment-Thumbnail.jpg

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm after! I'll be using mine outside too. Are you projecting onto a wall there, or have you used a screen / sheet / something else?

Edit: Which model number was yours?

Associate
Hello.

And what is the brightest cheap LED projector?
They are advertised as "5000" lumens, "6000" lumens, but I doubt those are ANSI lumens.
For my purposes, resolution and image quality don't matter, but lots of light is useful. And that with low power consumption.
A used "4500 ANSI Lumen" projector from Sony consumes ~325W.
But I want to use the projector on the move, on the street. For text and simple graphics etc., the image quality really doesn't matter.
But a lot of light for as little electricity as possible.

Back
Top Bottom