Has quality control taken a hit at OCUK?

Associate
The reason I ask , I've used ocuk for parts many times over many years but this is the first build I have ever done with them, I recently spent around 5.5k on a full build with Ocuk , due to massive delays the build took around 7 weeks to get to me.

It arrives and unimpressed to say the least , items paid and invoiced are either missing or have incorrect products installed in their place , the list..

Motherboard - incorrect colour
GPU - 4090 also incorrect colour
3 120 Fans - should replace the AIO stocks
phanteks rgb lighting kit - not installed

Calling them on Monday to see what the plan is going forward but also wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

Associate
OP
For that sort of money
I would expect an impeccable build

Was there any small print
Regarding if a specific item became unavailable
It would be replaced by an item of
Equal or greater specification
Though not necessarily the same colour?

Hopefully when you phone them
They will sort you out
I haven't bought a prebuilt pc in 30 years lol
So can't really say from personal experience
Nowt on the small print far as replacements go the only thing stock / pre order items were likely to modify is the build time according to them. However ordering the build and being informed everything is in stock to check back 2 weeks later and find some cables are now out of stock and will delay the build for many weeks was pretty irritating to learn.

There seems to be a massive ball drop with the communication somewhere along the line. The mistake on the board I could forgive somewhat , I emphasise a close to white as possible board for the build in the strix 670e-E and they installed the more expensive but black 670e-A board , but the gfx card was designated white for the 4090 on the cost/invoice and atleast 3 additional lianli fans which were discussed and meant to replace the stock for the AIO have been invoiced/paid for but not installed either. Pretty disappointed in the process thus far not going to lie

Associate
OP
Apart from the lighting kit which seems like an obvious oversight, my guess (I have no idea what their process is) would be that there's been some kind of miscommunication about what you wanted and your requirements weren't communicated to the build team?
Truth be told , their process is painfully inefficient especially on the ordering front , going back and forth via emails waiting 2-4days each time for a reply is a nuisance and painfully slow. My assumption is whoever handles the emails just relays info to the build team...though wires have definitely been crossed it would seem

Associate
OP
My apologies has been absolutely non stop at home (pc drama aside) so havnt had a chance to properly update. Thank you all for your input with the posts.

As of Saturday the pc was returned to me rectified of issues , from what I could understand there was a lapse in communication with the Email agent who was sorting the build and the team actually building it.

Graphics card requested/invoiced for originally was the strix oc 4090 (white) and an incorrect sku code resulted in me receiving the black version , same situation with the board, the agent input the wrong sku and didn't check the item after doing so and I got the carbon version of the board vs the grey/black. All that went to the build team and they just did what they were instructed unfortunately.

The fans are a bit of a mystery to even the Agent who helped me via the phone , some weren't added to the build at all (potentially because it was split into 3 invoices and 2 payments due to transaction limits) but they have also been corrected.

Summary the email system was a total headache to use and despite my clarity around what I was after interms of build asthetics being white that was emphasised since the first quote email , the agent unfortunately seems to have overlooked that and caused the errors.

Overclocker team admitted complete fault surrounding the matter after our conversation and going back over the emails. As a courtesy my motherboard got a bit of an upgrade free of charge from the grey/black 670 strix board to the Asrock taichi Carrara and they supplied/installed the replacement for the stock aio fans (lianli lcd tf) free of charge , the turn around was less than a week and definitely expedited by the phone agent who kept me updated with progress and such throughout the time they had it back (due to dpd the system went back on Wednesday and returned to me Saturday morning)

Now that it's here and a lot closer looking to what i had originally planned out , I'm very happy with it though will confess not being able to go full custom over the phone definitely made the process more delayed and a struggle than it needed to be. And to clarify a couple of other areas , I am not a bot , or trolling. Overclockers admitted fault and agreed to an immediate return of the system due to what I had pointed out as incorrect in my OP so there was no dramas surrounding getting it back. Yeah I spent pretty big, budget isn't really an issue and I havnt had a proper pc upgrade since my trusty 970 build so definitely spent extra in a couple of areas on asthetics and the white tax but I had researched what parts I wanted and probably racked up too many hours on YouTube watching builds that I already had a pretty solid idea of what the completed build should look like.

Associate
OP
Although the mix up with the SKUs isn’t great, it’s impressive the speed in which the error was resolved when you contacted them.

Pleased to hear that all is good
I was prepared to give them a chance to sort it before flying off the walls or spamming negative reviews and I can't fault the phone agent at all , just made things a lot easier having a 5 minute exchange vs waiting 2 days for the emails

Associate
OP
bonkers!, I spent 3k on parts, and got my trusty local computer guy friend to build it in my own lounge for £40 inc a 4090, that was a squeeky bum moment getting the huge 4090 into my old case, let me tell you!

the white strix 670e-A f is only pcie4.0, maybe they thought, why isn't he getting the black 670e-A which is pcie5.0 for this kind of money, then backed that wise choice up with a black 4090 to match it, idk, maybe there is a 5.0 pcie m.2 in there as well!?
or maybe you ordered some things that were wrong, thinking you were ordering something else, did you order a white case, for example, or accidentally put a black one down, and they did the best they could with what you had ordered, then swapped in a black gpu to keep a decent colour scheme going..
i'm curious to know which 4090 they sent out to you too, and which one you ordered, was the given 4090 better than the one you chose too?
you have /had 2 weeks LDSR right to get your money back, has that expired?
sorry you are unsatisfied
I had asked for and been invoiced for the white 4090 strix OC 24gb but got the same card in black , According to OC it was an SKU error

Associate
OP
It would have been nice if they would have refunded you the difference and you kept, what was arguably a better computer, what with the pcie5.0, they should have built in a pcie 5.0 m.2, that would have settled it for me
can't help an SKU error though really, one of your items maybe got bought, just as you pressed the button
There is ironically now a 300 quid difference in cost on the card from when I ordered the rig to since I got it but it does somewhat balance out with the board upgrade and the free fan upgrade..board does indeed look a lot nicer in the build aswell. Had gone full lian li so it did stick out like a sore thumb having the stock kraken fans in view

Associate
OP
I love a plan that comes together
Seems like you are happy now which is awesome, I'm happy for you!
Ocuk CS imho Are pretty good, they have helped me many of times in the past when I've bought something by mistake, changed my mind, or just bought the wrong thing, my brain is broken, so it can be hard for me to spot the correct
RMA email, so one of the CS agents, a woman, has been very patient with me and very kindly has emailed me plently of RMA emails seperate to the originals, which really helped me out, I cannot praise her enough !

Time to enjoy your new, epic computer
are you on 4K yet?
Touch wood the bloke who's been assisting via the phone was great throughout the process , got back to me when he said he would and kept me informed of any modifications/ changes to the plan so I can't fault him at all.

4k the next step hopefully , just spent the weekend fighting with my audio mixer so I know all to well what the broken brain can do to the process ... 1 slider gets moved and everything goes to pot

Back
Top Bottom