• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has RTX Changed The Way We Game?

Associate
It's supposed to help with game development but the baseline technology that the majority of people game on (anyone playing on console or non-4000 Nvidia gpus) simply hasn't got the oompf, that means that "downscaling" their game is necessary.

You can't aim to please the 10% of people who have the hardware and give the other 90% the "finger."

Soldato
Bought my lads 1 year old system from him for £750 and at £50 a month(£150 deposit) and I know it was lightly game on. He bought it from here and built it so all good!

I did ask him if he used RTX in the early days and he was like no why strain the GFX card for no reason.

I haven't used RTX yet but have seen some screenshots over the years. The puddle comment above might be the most valid point, though.

5800X3D CPU 5800X3D - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060Ti Gaming OC V2 LHR 8GB - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 - Gigabyte b550 Aorus Elite AX V2 1.1 - WD_BLACK SN850 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe - Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H100i ELITE LCD XT Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - 240mm - iCUE 220T RGB case(Monitor /PSU were a gift from me new.

My Issue that I keep swinging between atm is: Do I pair the 3060ti with current rig 5950x or the 5800X3D.

I really don't think I'd see much difference gaming wise in a notable way.
5800x3d If it's going to used in gaming m9stly

Man of Honour
I haven't used RTX yet but have seen some screenshots over the years. The puddle comment above might be the most valid point, though.
You realise though that even without RT, puddles are still in the game right? it's just that reflections vanish/spaz out as you move the camera around because that's what screen space reflections do, and that's annoying as hell when you're walking around a scene then suddenly all reflections in the water vanish as you move the camera about.

Example of what I mean:

People do mock the shiny floors in Cyberpunk, I think it's a little too far reaching to do so having spent many nights in London central photographing the streets after it's rained and the ground is nearly as much RTX: ON as it is in games :p

Associate
You realise though that even without RT, puddles are still in the game right? it's just that reflections vanish/spaz out as you move the camera around because that's what screen space reflections do, and that's annoying as hell when you're walking around a scene then suddenly all reflections in the water vanish as you move the camera about.

Example of what I mean:

People do mock the shiny floors in Cyberpunk, I think it's a little too far reaching to do so having spent many nights in London central photographing the streets after it's rained and the ground is nearly as much RTX: ON as it is in games :p
I do realise that puddles are still in the game.

Man of Honour
Very broken/unfinished, just some random images from messing about with it, but I've been dabbling with a kind of what if Deus Ex Liberty Island map had been made with RTX using Quake 2 RTX - it is a pale shadow of what could be done in games with a modern engine and lots of resources/time (I've kind of run into a problem at the moment trying to do high quality terrain in Quake 2 as it doesn't support even vertex alpha based terrain let alone modern forms of terrain rendering so I've kind of stalled until/unless I crack that - short of building a like 30GB texture dump for the entire terrain LOL):

V0tSEen.jpeg

If a coming up on 30 year old engine can do that with just a path tracing overhaul... I think people vastly underestimate what RTX could bring if used properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very broken/unfinished, just some random images from messing about with it, but I've been dabbling with a kind of what if Deus Ex Liberty Island map had been made with RTX using Quake 2 RTX - it is a pale shadow of what could be done in games with a modern engine and lots of resources/time (I've kind of run into a problem at the moment trying to do high quality terrain in Quake 2 as it doesn't support even vertex alpha based terrain let alone modern forms of terrain rendering so I've kind of stalled until/unless I crack that - short of building a like 30GB texture dump for the entire terrain LOL):

V0tSEen.jpeg

If a coming up on 30 year old engine can do that with just a path tracing overhaul... I think people vastly underestimate what RTX could bring if used properly.

Yup, even with the imperfect implementation from CB and can add so much to the atmosphere. It would be a huge benefit for gaming to just dump raster asap.

Associate
I think people vastly underestimate what RTX could bring if used properly.
I think people also vastly underestimate the number of people with cards capable of running high level RT. For it to become mainstream performance on cards of that tier will need to drastically increase. We're several generations away from that, especially with the generational gains we're seeing right now.

That's not to mention consoles, which can do wonderful things with fixed hardware, but have to squeeze that into a tight power/cooling budget.

It's not impacted my gaming at all yet, a nice to have for sure but well down the importance list.

Soldato
I think people also vastly underestimate the number of people with cards capable of running high level RT. For it to become mainstream performance on cards of that tier will need to drastically increase. We're several generations away from that, especially with the generational gains we're seeing right now.

That's not to mention consoles, which can do wonderful things with fixed hardware, but have to squeeze that into a tight power/cooling budget.

It's not impacted my gaming at all yet, a nice to have for sure but well down the importance list.
You can start from Metro levels of RT as baseline, which ran pretty good on consoles as well, and add up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only change I've noticed is to make sure its off before I play a game.

Yes, same here, I have to say. I suppose I might see a difference if I sat there examining frames, but most of the time I just fire up a game and then start switching things off until it performs the way I want it. And RT is the first thing I usually switch off.

Soldato
That's a good point, but raises the question why we haven't seen more of that in the near 3 years since.

I guess help from nVIDIA helped (just as it probably did with CDPR), but also because they were working with their own engine for a long time and always kinda at the top - so they knew what they were doing.
You could say that UBI with Snowdrop (and the game Avatar) is their "next gen" engine - although it can look REALLY bad at times (see below), from a geometry standpoint.

Remedy stepped up with AW2.

Star Citizen / Squadron 42 will add it too.

Some are rather retrograde and avoid moving on, but slowly raster will die. Probably with the next gen consoles.

Back
Top Bottom