Has streaming hit it’s peak?

Associate
Each streaming service siloed content to their product only I started to go off it. And even then you had to be quick because a lot disappear once the streaming rights expire. Stuff I’ve had in my ‘Lists’ now have ‘Buy’ flags whilst at the time I could have streamed for free as part of the monthly subscription.

That and mostly older stuff just isn’t available, movies from the 90’s, early 2000’s are in short supply via streaming.

I’ll give Amazon Prime a thumbs up for allowing some smaller studios to have separate ‘subscriptions’ within, of which most offer 7-30 day free trials.

Last edited:
Associate
I think at least within the last year or so, the fact that everyone and their dog these days has their own subscription streaming, plus the cost of living mean people have been dumping the 12 subscriptions they've ended up with left and right. I do question whether any streaming service is going to sustainable in the long term. When the bubble bursts, it'll be terrible for the consumers. Physical media is dying, but these companies can take away your ability to watch what you want on a whim.

Soldato
I do wish we could go back to when it felt like Netflix was the service to rule them all. Had been using it once we got bored of using LoveFilm plus Netflix was something like £4 a month at the time which felt like an absolute bargain

Now, in my house we have Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, AppleTV, Sky sports/movies, Paramount+ and Prime. The price is absurd and I'd be honest and say sometimes I'm really thinking of getting on the high seas.

Caporegime
Hasn't peaked yet, but might by next year.

If anything both Disney and Netflix are increasing subscribers every quarter since adding the ad based plans.

Edit: a quick Google shows Netflix have more paid subscribers than Spotify now, and that's a recent change.

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
has the population stopped growing?
Nvidia and AMD don't tell us how many CPU and GPU they sold either.,
does that mean they are selling less?
the article itself explains that Netflix expect their subscribers numbers to plateau. That also coincides with their stock price taking a hit.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
On a personal level getting annoyed by all the messing about with ads, plans which don't feel good value for money - then messing about with some of them over deals, etc. to try and keep me rather than have me cancel... lack of UHD resolution and features on the PC, etc. etc. I used to just keep a load of subscriptions going but now it has got to the point I just subscribe for 1-2 months here and there to catch up then cancel again even though that is faff.

Also a death of really good content and/or far too many shows destroyed by agendas being imposed at the expense of the content.

Caporegime
I don't know if it's peaked, but it's certainly a bad time in terms of content, increased costs for said content, coinciding with a cost of living crisis where £20 a month (probably more for many as they're not just subscribed to Netflix) can be better spent on other things for a lot of people.

We unsubbed months ago as we rarely ever watch anything on there.

Last edited:
Associate
Far too many streaming services now - they all jumped on the bandwagon and all its done is diluted each service and forced people to pick and choose which ones they want for a few weeks each to watch the stuff they want to before moving on.

Presumably over time we will see the smaller, less successful ones die of or get merged until there are fewer around again with more content.

Some of them brining in ads etc to boost revenue short term but at the same time alienating some of their customers who resent paying and then still seeing ads.

I have asked this a few times now on this forum in different threads but it never got answered:

If I was to pick 3 streaming services, say £80-£100 per year each, so £300 tops, what 3 services have the most collective coverage for movies? I'm currently just with Amazon Prime but their 'free' films which I added to my play list keep disappearing behind the paywall. I was with Disney+ but sacked it off when they increased it from £80 to £110.

Soldato
A lot of modern online "services" sold themselves on an endless growth model, which while not realistic absolutely attracted investors.

Said companies are now starting to hit that wall, it's not just Netflix doing so and even outside of the direct competition in Streaming tv/movies we're seeing similar from the likes of Youtube (google) who realised they've massively over invested and actually need money to continue, but can't shut the related services down without looking like they've pooped the bed hardcore.

The companies that followed the initial models set by Netflix for online media are now running into major problems, saturation being part of it but also because piracy has again started to offer a better service (aka an issue Netflix once solved) -- it's a cycle of idiocy in which a handful of people make bank and move on while leaving X business/model/service to fail.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not to mention media rights is extremely messy must be a headache for a global streaming company.

The price of some of these services is getting nuts and most are now starting to introduce advertising as an another income stream.

It’s just interesting that even after a good period of growth for Netflix who is the industry leader by far see that this won’t continue.

Soldato
up until BT decided to fit FTTP in my area 3 or 4 years back my internet was less than 1 mbps and not capable of streaming

i would imagine some people in rural areas in the UK and certainly in other countries are still trapped in that situation

surely streaming will grow as more and more millions of people get internet capable of using it properly

Soldato
OP
up until BT decided to fit FTTP in my area 3 or 4 years back my internet was less than 1 mbps and not capable of streaming

i would imagine some people in rural areas in the UK and certainly in other countries are still trapped in that situation

surely streaming will grow as more and more millions of people get internet capable of using it properly
Doesn’t look like it.
I also believe there’s been a large Zerg of viewers heading back to Free to air TV.

Back
Top Bottom