Have Apple turned a corner and are making desirable products again?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Jony Ive leaving is the best thing that's happened tbh

Thicker iPhone, Macbook Pro bigger battery and going back to a decent keyboard... these would never have happened with him still around where it was looks over absolutely everything!

Couldnt agree more, that guy was a massive clown who didnt give a **** about performance and daily use. He just wanted something that looked nice.

Since hes gone, Apple have thrived, their products are becoming much more useable and frankly just better for almost everyone.

Pattern to continue onto 14 inch MBP, iphone 12 pro and everything else

Soldato
Hate to break it to you but the products being released in 2019 will have been designed under Jonny Ive. It takes years to bring this sort of thing to market in the volumes Apple ship.

For instance the iPhone 11 development started well before the XS was released...

The Mac Pro has been under development for years.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Hate to break it to you but the products being released in 2019 will have been designed under Jonny Ive. It takes years to bring this sort of thing to market in the volumes Apple ship.

For instance the iPhone 11 development started well before the XS was released...

The Mac Pro has been under development for years.

Eh not majorly, I think him leaving was a change in the right direction.

The beginning stages he might have been involved in, but definitely not the final product. No way Jonny schmuck would have decided to make the phones thicker and have a bigger battery

Soldato
List the ones which haven't been fantastic

iPhone 3/3S where the battery pack swelled and popped the rear case off when left in a drawer unused for a few months?

The iPhone 4 which was released with Apple knowing that large, sweaty hands in physical contact with the antenna caused it to de-tune significantly causing dropped calls and loss of service? Not to mention the first iOS fix to change the algorithms for how cellular service was displayed in the wake of Antenna Gate were FUBAR’d and service indication only changed when the phone camped on a different cell.

The iPhone 5 which shed anodising and edges as you looked at them if anything harder than an over-ripe avocado came near them?

Soldato
iPhone 3/3S where the battery pack swelled and popped the rear case off when left in a drawer unused for a few months?

The iPhone 4 which was released with Apple knowing that large, sweaty hands in physical contact with the antenna caused it to de-tune significantly causing dropped calls and loss of service? Not to mention the first iOS fix to change the algorithms for how cellular service was displayed in the wake of Antenna Gate were FUBAR’d and service indication only changed when the phone camped on a different cell.

The iPhone 5 which shed anodising and edges as you looked at them if anything harder than an over-ripe avocado came near them?

I’ve never understood why so many people had a problem with signal on the iPhone 4. Much like my old Nokia phones that came with a printed manual that showed you where the antenna location was and advised you not to touch or block that area because it may result in reduced or loss of signal, I simply didn’t touch or block the antenna on the iPhone 4 either.

Here’s the exact wording from the Nokia E71 manual:

‘Your device may have internal and external antennas. Avoid touching the antenna area unnecessarily while the antenna is transmitting or receiving. Contact with antennas affects the communication quality and may cause a higher power level during operation and may reduce the battery life.’

And then there’s a picture which shows you where not to touch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ha - I remember with the 4 antenna issue not having a single problem until somebody pointed out the issue. Then I noticed it all the time! Also noticed of course I could do the same thing to several other phones too at the time. The drama.

Soldato
Ha - I remember with the 4 antenna issue not having a single problem until somebody pointed out the issue. Then I noticed it all the time! Also noticed of course I could do the same thing to several other phones too at the time. The drama.

You can block the signal on any phone by obstructing the antenna. Depending on how strong the signal is to start with this will either result in a degraded signal quality or no signal.

Soldato
Apple didn't aim the iPhone 4 to people with large, sweaty hands. They went to market for people with small hands that didn't sweat at all. I had an iPhone 4 then a 4S for about 4 years without a single issue.

As did many, many other iPhone 4 uses. The issue was that users could actually make an electrical contact with antennae elements and hence re-tune them. While every other mobile phone could suffer increased radio pathloss through users covering/blocking external and internal antennae, the iPhone 4’s design allowed far worse contact. Hence the free rubber bumpers for anyone that complained.

Soldato
As did many, many other iPhone 4 uses. The issue was that users could actually make an electrical contact with antennae elements and hence re-tune them. While every other mobile phone could suffer increased radio pathloss through users covering/blocking external and internal antennae, the iPhone 4’s design allowed far worse contact. Hence the free rubber bumpers for anyone that complained.

The solution to both is to either not block or cover the antenna.

Soldato

The iPhone 4 and 5 were two of my all time favourite phones

Back
Top Bottom