Have we hit peak phone?

Caporegime
Took my dslr to Vatican today. Forgot the damn battery. Might be final straw for me. I'm now about to have to lug this thing around as dead weight. Luckily I brought my phone and lens kit and power bank.
So annoyed!

If I didn't have this great phone camera I'd have probably headed back

Caporegime
OP
5" phone and a 10" tablet in one, would be the one I want.

flexible screens paired with flexible batteries would also make smart watches far more comfortable and allow bigger screens.

As awesome as that would be, I can't see how they could keep the correct aspect ratio.

Current rectangular screens would fold out in to a more square shape, which is ok for websites, but naff for videos.

Man of Honour
As awesome as that would be, I can't see how they could keep the correct aspect ratio.

Current rectangular screens would fold out in to a more square shape, which is ok for websites, but naff for videos.
As you say even a square is much better than just a normal phone for certain tasks, which still makes it worthwhile, depending on the exact dimension etc you might get a bit of extra video space as well.

However they could do a double fold. Or there's Samsung roll screen, which rolled up is like a thin phone.

nzr5w4.jpg

icmqsp.jpg

as i said there will probably be all sorts of form factors when they are first released, before converging to the same design over several years.

Caporegime
Largely yes but I don't give a hoot about bendy screens, dual cameras and 4K - find a way to insure my phone lasts at least a day with one charge please.

Soldato
I think they will all keep offering all these slight improvements until sales start to drop and people don't upgrade as often (which has already started, I'd say) and then they will release phones with 3 day batteries. As soon as one does it, they will all do it. I think the manufacturers are saving that card to play because it would make most people upgrade again rather than giving it to people now when most of them will upgrade anyway.

The way things are heading, you'd soon get to a situation where pretty much any phone from the past 3-4 years would do for most people and at £600-700, that's what many people will start to do

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fingerprint/eye scanners are still niche in terms of both desire and application, but I definitely agree that it is more about the software now. My phone can do all the software I want, perhaps that is why I have no want to upgrade.

But given that software isn't really limited by phone hardware beyond games, what purpose do £500+ flagships actually serve?

All I really want is waterproofing, but not willing to spend double my current phone cost just to get it.

I wouldn't say so. Most people with a more modern iPhone (I.e. One with a fingerprint reader) will be using the fingerprint reader dozens of times a day - accessing the device, banking (great for transfers as you don't need a card reader) and a variety of other apps that have taken advantage of the fingerprint reader. Instead of having to remember half a dozen or more passwords and the code for the phone you can use your finger.

Raw spec hasn't been an important factor for most for a while now, as said software and things that make life simpler (such as the fingerprint scanner) are where it's at.

I got an iPhone 6 at release (after using android and WP) and don't see the need to upgrade for a while yet, whereas I was upgrading with each contract prior to it. Unless something big like finger print reading comes out in the near future I don't see a need to upgrade unless the phone breaks or software starts having problems running in it.

Caporegime
Snap, probably two years I've been thinking about it. Just keep my macro and tele lens

It's sad really. Phones get better and better. In every way. Especially the hassle factor. And post processing my phone can get to what I like in a picture instantly what would take me many minutes. While dslrs progress slowly and obviously don't get updates.
I'm also wondering if it's a dying market and I should sell soon anyway. I've definitely got at least 2k of kit I haven't used more than twice in a year!

So off to the park in Rome soon, and I know it's going to be hot. I'm going to take my phone and lens kit. The dslr will stay at home.

Sad times

Try shooting wildlife, low light, or blowing your photos up to 18x12 (or bigger).

DSLRs had a bit of a renaissance about four years ago with the proliferation of cheaper low end models and that market is definitely being eaten up by better camera phones. The middle of the range stuff is also getting stiff competition from mirrorless cameras for general shooting (holiday snaps and random photos around town etc) but there will still be a niche for DSLRs for a while yet, and even if they did out the long heavy lenses will still always be around for those shooting things that need it.

Caporegime
Try shooting wildlife, low light, or blowing your photos up to 18x12 (or bigger).

DSLRs had a bit of a renaissance about four years ago with the proliferation of cheaper low end models and that market is definitely being eaten up by better camera phones. The middle of the range stuff is also getting stiff competition from mirrorless cameras for general shooting (holiday snaps and random photos around town etc) but there will still be a niche for DSLRs for a while yet, and even if they did out the long heavy lenses will still always be around for those shooting things that need it.

Oh yeah I do know what you mean. Serious people and people who have a business is completely different.

But I've never printed off a picture, I expect are a lot of hobbyists are like me.

Low light is now quite good. But yeah I also get that point. Wildlife you need a lot of glass. And that's where I think I'm going to park it. Wildlife

Sell all my kit and just get a long lens.

Phone cams are only going to get better.

Caporegime
OP
I wouldn't say so. Most people with a more modern iPhone (I.e. One with a fingerprint reader) will be using the fingerprint reader dozens of times a day - accessing the device, banking (great for transfers as you don't need a card reader) and a variety of other apps that have taken advantage of the fingerprint reader. Instead of having to remember half a dozen or more passwords and the code for the phone you can use your finger.

Using something that is there isn't exactly the same as that function as being a requirement. I don't think many people would not get a phone because it lacks a fingerprint reader, most iphone users would have bought an iphone regardless ;)

Still, those that do get a minute amount of convenience, it's not exactly a game-changer in terms of usability.

Also, my £350 faux-flagship has a fingerprint reader. And heart-rate monitor, and uv sensor, and possibly some more functions I don't need or know about :p

Caporegime
I'm not suggesting it's a requirement for all, although I'd say that people that have got used to it will not like going back to not having one - I certainly now have it on a requirement list for any phone I buy in the future (or something just as convenient). The reality is it is a game changer, far more so than a little bit of extra RAM or a slightly faster processor anyway.

The post wasn't an "iphones are better", it was a post to point it that finger print readers that integrate with multiple apps (not just to access your phone) are things that make a difference. It's extra conveniences like those that will win people over now, rather than the slightly faster phone. It's another example of integration and the overall package, which I feel many people on this forum forget is important when buying things because they are slightly faster.

Honestly biometrics is probably not far off the same level as cameras added to phones for innovation. The next innovation to sweep the industry - perhaps folding screens, but I'm not totally convinced.

The big thing is - it has to work seamlessly and reliably. I've had too many phones that claimed they had something great, but it only worked 50% of the time. If you spend most of your time having to do it the old fashioned way then it's a pointless innovation and fails the seamlessly integrate part of the package.

Associate
For me personally, since having the iPhone 6s I struggle to see myself upgrading. It runs all of the software well enough and has stood the test of time of about two years, which for an iPhone is pretty good :p.

Soldato
Bought a Lenovo P2 to replace a broken Note 4. A bit snappier and battery life is 3 days + for me. Thats all I need in a phone these days.

I dont play games. I use youtube, internet and whatsapp. Not quite sure what people with flagship phones need the power for. I got my Note 4 on release day and that was a great upgrade to an S3. Now it just seems like tiny increments of usability. Barely noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom