Have you ever built your own bike or custom?

Associate
Just want to hear any opinions to building your own bike, it probably sounds harder than it is. Also anyone ever bought parts from planet X? Their frames are so insanely cheap compared to other competitors.

Recommended places appreciated too! Or info :)

Associate
OP
Yes, several times.
It's easy to do but more expensive than buying a complete bike.

I've also bought loads of stuff from PlanetX, including full bikes. They are quite slow to deliver and charge more for delivery than the competitors so it's only worthwhile if you're buying a lot of stuff or getting a good price.
There's bikes I can customize, and swap out preferred parts. I'm considering getting a full bike from there. If I link you the build could you tell me if I'm doing the right thing? I'd appreciate it as I'm not that knowledgeable about parts, I just love to cycle

Associate
OP
I've built two and rebuilt one from the frame up. It's pretty easy if you've got the tools. You can get a toolkit that'll do the job for £30 or so. On top of that you might need a headset press, but quite a few online stores sell frames with the headset already fitted.
Everywhere I've looked the tools are expensive, do I look for a set ? I've got the tools to take a cassette off the back wheel, and Alan keys. Do you have a link?

Associate
OP
to build up, you only really need 4, 5 and 6 mm allen keys, a cassette tool (you only need the chainwhip for removal) and a tool to install the BB. Cable cutters are handy.

if your headset needs pressing it's worth paying a shop, the tool is thunderously expensive for what it is
I've found some videos and playlist online, but would you recommend a channel to follow from step one, tool checklist to how to look for the right parts? I'll probably be splashing out about £700 on parts

Associate
OP
Sorry about this guy's, I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of technical talk, I know absolutely nothing about parts and will take a while to understand it all lol. But I'm really keen on learning!

Associate
OP
i've somewhat deterred myself from building a bike. Time & money and lack of knowledge. But around next year, around March, I'll get my first carbon on finance. Tempted to go into one of the show rooms these places have to try them and see fits!
From Planet X: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV22/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival-11-road-bike
From Ribble: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-evo-pro/#
Trying to compare, they're similar pricing and quality.
Is one better than the other? are there better places a carbon bike for money?

Associate
OP
the ribble frame is a newer design but I doubt there's a lot in it.
Ribble for some reason, screams a bit more to me, like its a better/premium service. and Planet x, stock too much and mass produce and lose quality. Ribble feels somewhat more intimate with their smaller selection, Might just go for them!

Associate
OP
Both are selling mass-produced chinese frames and sticking their own logos on them, the quality is likely to be the same for both. Customer service/aftersales may vary between them though.
Just to keep looking, would you recommend any other retailers for a carbon bike under £1100? or with discounts/sales making it more of a bargain? lol

Associate
OP
I dont mean you should avoid those companies - there's nothing wrong with their frames. I have 2 carbon PlanetX frames myself. I was just making the point that you can't infer the build quality of the frames based on your perception of the company.
Ahh fair enough. I've never spent more than 500 on a bike, so its a big step up for me, just want to make sure i make the right choice and get the right fit for me! :>

Back
Top Bottom