Have you ever vandalised an entry on Wikipedia?

Associate
We used to modify our school's wikipedia page all the time when we were there, quickly realised that harmless stuff would be far more likely to get through.

Unfortunately that meant our peak teenage humour didn't survive.

But inventing bizarre history (e.g. that the construction of the gym required the demolition of a 35 year old smoker's hut) stayed for years.

Soldato
After one too many hot cocoas, many moons ago, I edited the wiki page for a well known kids TV show. I proclaimed that the character in question's favourite mode of transport was not a van, but rather a big red phallus.

Man of Honour
Brilliant, you need to PM now, I keep secrets for a living.

and no I don't, even though I've given them £2 a year for the last 5 years I didn't know you could edit :)
If I did there would be a few band pages I'd alter things.

Last edited:
Soldato
"I just did it for a laugh, it's utterly harmless" said every vandal ever..

Lock him up is the only answer, that'll learn him for being honest enough to 'fess up..

Mind you, knowing some of the rabidity of fan groups, it's a brave thing to admit to it now..

Soldato
I used to do it fairly regularly.

My favourite was changing the flag of Venezuela to a picture of kermit the frog on the country's page. That stayed up for an hour or so.

I added a fairly lengthy edit about the drink Um Bongo to the page on the democratic Republic of Congo. That lasted a day or so.

Funnily enough, I regularly tried to update Richard Branson's page to list details of his criminal conviction, which is well known. That was always removed within minutes- presumably by his PR people. The page now lists that information.

If you want something to stay up, you need to reference it. Reference from an obscure, out of print and non-google books source.

Back
Top Bottom