• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Having seen RTX run is it worth the extra cost?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
RTX will be the first thing turned off in most games. It's "ok" in BFV, but definitely nothing worth losing 70% performance over. I could see RTX working better in like single player Sci-Fi games that a lower FPS isn't that big of a deal and RTX gets to be shown off more.

70% hit? I still hold 4K/60 virtually all the time on my 2080Ti. Or are you going for a higher Hz monitor with a lower res?

I didn’t buy it for RT, it was the best available at the time unfortunately, albeit way over priced.

No complaints with the performance though!

Soldato
RTX will be the first thing turned off in most games. It's "ok" in BFV, but definitely nothing worth losing 70% performance over. I could see RTX working better in like single player Sci-Fi games that a lower FPS isn't that big of a deal and RTX gets to be shown off more.

Yep, much like Physx was.

People are basing the performance on what they have seen in BFV, but it will likely be worse. BFV doesn't really use ray tracing for all the effects it adds.

Caporegime
I've seen it run on a build I was doing on a gigabyte gaming 2080ti oc. Having to go out of your way in BFV to try and find a reflection to ogle over is not what I'd call being worth the extra cost. And once you do see one, yeah it's something new for a few seconds then you move on and just play the game as normal...at a lower res and framerate.

So currently no, a few years down the line maybe but right now it's more of a gimmick than anytbing.

Associate
Not at the moment really, but, when it is used properly for the lighting etc as well then yes, it will be great, worth the extra cash though? not sure about that as the rtx line is pretty expensive and imo a bit overpriced, well except the 2060 maybe :)

Soldato
Not played any RTX games on my 2070. Was impressed by how well it did in 'normal' games, my 980Ti was 3 1/2 yrs old and I felt the 2070 was sufficiently better, 980Ti was £539.99 in July 2015, Msi Armour RTX 2070 £459, so well better and beat the 1070/Ti, 1080, vega 56/64 in most stuff, was cheaper than the 1080 when I bought it. Most folk seem to forget these are powerful cards without RT/DXR so not interested. Sure I would have liked £100 less but was that realistic? Where could it have fitted in cost wise given it performs above the previously mentioned cards. Definitely the 2080Ti/2080 were crazy prices but not so sure about the 2070 given its performance, with maybe more to come.

Associate
Not played any RTX games on my 2070. Was impressed by how well it did in 'normal' games, my 980Ti was 3 1/2 yrs old and I felt the 2070 was sufficiently better, 980Ti was £539.99 in July 2015, Msi Armour RTX 2070 £459, so well better and beat the 1070/Ti, 1080, vega 56/64 in most stuff, was cheaper than the 1080 when I bought it. Most folk seem to forget these are powerful cards without RT/DXR so not interested. Sure I would have liked £100 less but was that realistic? Where could it have fitted in cost wise given it performs above the previously mentioned cards. Definitely the 2080Ti/2080 were crazy prices but not so sure about the 2070 given its performance, with maybe more to come.

I have put the EVGA ULTRA 2070 through it's paces today and it is a very good card.
Fast and silent without any coil whine as well. I have looked through my bench scores and it's only slower than the 1080ti I had briefly before.

These cards are quick without the RTX but I do agree on pricing being rough.

Soldato
I didn't buy my 2080 Ti for RT but to replace my (Maxwell) Titan X cards. And I don't play BFV. I'm too old for twitch games. That said, I view RTX as a harbinger of things to come, much like PhysX. Indeed, much like the original Voodoo card. I think I still have my Pure3D Voodoo card - with a whole 6 MB VRAM - somewhere.

Soldato
I'm in the for RTX camp, but it is still very much conditional. If you have a discerning mind the real question is - is DXR worth it? Not is RTX worth it. Ray tracing in real-time has been for sometime and will remain to be the future of rendering. The real problem is NVIDIA's headstrong PR that put such strong onus on the technology on Turing that it left a sour taste in a lot of enthusiasts mouths.

With that said, even with the elementary rays being cast in the examples we have today RTX features still offer amazing fidelity if you know where to look. BFV campaign with a 2080Ti offers more than enough performance (65-90 FPS @ 3440x1440) with the features enabled. Reflections cast in the wet mud from exploding tanks and grenades look stunning. Multiplayer, however, it's too much of a compromise and the performance penalty isn't worth the hit (IMO). As already said, with Metro using RTX for global illumination there should be a clearer picture.

Is Turing worth investing in just for RTX? Definitely not, unless you have deep pockets. DXR technology is not the brainchild of NVIDIA, it's something that in all likelihood is the future of real-time rendering - but it's too soon to throw your wallets at it.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

After seeing this video of the 3dmark port royal with Ray tracing on vs off, it really doesn't look like it's worth it at the moment. It looked good under normal rasterization.

Maybe when it can be fully ray traced, and also when that is available at mainstream prices, then yeah all good, but now, all this latest RTX lineup just shows, is that we aren't really anywhere near full ray traced rendering for gaming. It'll be years and years away.

Associate
I would have bought my 2080ti even if RTX didn't exist. But RTX is going to be a big bonus if it gets implemented well.
So far we have one game in which it was hastily implemented long into the development of the game.
Games that have started to incorporate it like Metro early on, have the opportunity to optimise it for every area in the game and refine all the game with it in mind.
The length of time it's taking to come to SOTTR indicates that it isn't just a question of turning RTX on to get the best possible result.
I certainly wouldn't as it stands buy a 20 series card for the RTX though.

Associate
Currently due to lack of content not worth it (for me). Let’s see what it will look like in 12 months time.

My hope is at least 10 games, but not holding my breath or even that excited about it as it needs to be in games I want to play and not a single one has been announced. From my point of view right now they have a game like pong or checkers where they are ray tracing reflections. Couldn’t care less about BF5 as I have seen all I want in videos.

If Mr Lying Leather Jacker Man wants my money, he needs to get it on something like Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2, Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Yeah, now you are stuck only being able to play only one game on your PC, as everything must look really dull and unbearable to play. At the snail rate Nvidia are going, you might have a handful by the end of the year. I feel sorry for you sir :p;)
I never bought the 2080 just for RTX. It’s just a bonus to me. If it’s there, I find the visual difference noticeable enough in action to keep it on. The YT videos don’t do it justice imo. Even if there is only 1 game supporting it by the end of the year, I got my worth out of the card as I was upgrading from a 970 and I have thousands of hours clocked in any battlefield entry. I definitely wouldn’t upgrade just for rtx from a 1080ti or something.

Associate
Is it worth it with a doubt no, is it very nice, totally (in the one game that you can play..).

Got BFV with my card and even though it's not really my type of game i had to see what the fuss was all about. Single player experience and the RT effects are really nice. Not needed but having played at 4k with RT on in that game the potential in a few generations once the tech has matured is mouth watering. Waiting to see what happens with Metro Exodus released next month.

Soldato
What?? But they have been working on it for the past 10 years! :p

lol, working towards more like.

Worst possible choice of map, likely because if they had used the French campaign it would have been far easier than one that's almost completely covered in snow. It's a combination of elements and rendering that make BFV beautiful, not just RTX features. If you had a room where there was a single candle light source and a cup of water, you're not likely not going to be impressed.

Battlefield-V-Screenshot-2018.11.20-21.57.15.63.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I love RT in BFV although I am not really playing it but it looks so much better on than off. Price is a joke for the 2080Ti and lower but would I change mine out? Nah :)

Edit: A few more games and I will be happier and if DLSS supports 3440x1440 and RT, I will be even happier.

Soldato
IMO it's worth it. It's already improved from what we saw initially and will get better yet, even with current GPU's. Implementation is still sparse though (one game) but it's expected that uptake will take time (new complex tech) so if people want to save a few £ and go without RT for now, fair play!
We've gone from many expecting 60FPS from a 2080 Ti at 1080P to now according to Nvidia soon to see a 2060 at over 60 FPS at 1440P.
I've been playing BFV a lot, MP too which I haven't done for years. I'll go through the SP campagn(s) when DLSS is implemented which I assume is happening fairly soon.
Being an enthusiast to me also means supporting new tech and trying it out. It's still a bit of an RT taster of what we will get more of in the future but I like what I see so far, including the performance improvements made. From a 2080 I get better performance from BF5 with RT on, even without DLSS implement than I do from Final Fantasy (no RT)
Would I sell the 2080 now for a non RT card? Nope, not a chance. Likewise I'm glad I purchased the 2080 instead of the 1080 Ti when it was on special offer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I love RT in BFV although I am not really playing it but it looks so much better on than off. Price is a joke for the 2080Ti and lower but would I change mine out? Nah :)

Edit: A few more games and I will be happier and if DLSS supports 3440x1440 and RT, I will be even happier.

Have you tried running the Port Royal benchmark yet as it looks very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom