Having some problems with a new build

Associate
Gorky said:
Well it's a Gigabyte board not a DFI but it sure sounds like it's the same issue here. ;) After uncovering those extra sockets, I certainly don't have enough power cables to go around, heh:)

You could try a 20-24 pin converter. A couple of quid on fleabay. That's what I've got on mine - a 430w Antec into an Asus a8n32.

mj

Associate
OP
Well I managed to borrow an old 24pin psu off a friend to test it out and it's working ok now. My only problem is the floppy disk with the sata raid controller drivers on seems corrupt so I'm having trouble installing windows. Don't have a floppy drive on this laptop, so another half hour walk into town to get it redownloaded :mad: :rolleyes: I think my psu needs an upgrade so I'll likely grab a 600W instead of using a converter, but thanks for the suggestion!

Associate
Im using the same motherboard, and when i first built it i only had a 20pin PSU and had no problems with it working, i have know upgraded to a hiper 24pin psu but that was for overclocking reasons. have u tried entereing the SATA Raid utility just after the bios loads? to sort out your Raid Config, not sure you will need the disk then

Associate
OP
I set up the drive in the raid controls, and it tries to load my old install (and fails for obvious reasons :p). If I don't use the floppy disk in the windows install, it doesn't see the drive. If I use the disk, it starts doing the install, but then complains about a corrupt file on drive A: relating to one of the sata files. I don't think I can work around this without heading down to the local netcafe and redownloading the files. Slightly annoyign as it's not long since I got back:p

Man of Honour
Am i right in saying the XP SP2 should detect SATA drives without thrid party drivers (i.e. pressing F6)??

Pressing F6 is for RAID set up only?

However, since my XP desk is the original, I have to use this option. Can't be bothered with slipstreamming.

Glad you sorted your problem out.

Back
Top Bottom