Having Trouble With FTP Server

Associate
Hello,

We have a file storage in my work at the moment which all the computer's use to store data. I have just had a request to setup an FTP server so we can access files from home, and I am not sure how to go about doing this. I can set up a FTP server fine, though its just the whole routing issue, as we are in a building with about 10 diffrent company offices, and our internet access is routed through a central server in the building which I don't think we will have any access to. As far as I am aware, there is only a single IP address going out of the building, but it is how one would connect to our office server, from an outside location?

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but I will respond as quick as I can with any more questions.

John

Associate
You will need to get the main network manager or whoever looks after the firewall to open a range of ports on the firewall/router.

It may be the case that the port the FTP server is using is already mapped to another FTP server for another company. In which case it will need to be mapped. For example...

ftp.yourwork.com:8000 instead of ftp.yourwork.com:21

Its a dead easy, straight forward thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom