Hawksmoor or somewhere else?

Associate
We have a night out planned in London later in the year, we generally only make it once a year.

Booked a nice hotel in Soho, restaurant next......

Typically we always do Hawksmoor, which I adore, but I could be tempted to try somewhere else?

Any recommendations, Atul Kochar's place looks good (Benares)

Totally open minded (although I feel like I'll be cheating on Hawksmoor!) my missus has a dairy intolerance.

taB

taB

Associate
If it's a Saturday night do Hawksmoor for Sunday lunch and go somewhere else for the evening. Did this recently and was awesome.

Associate
OP
It's a Thursday night, but we have most of Friday (until mid afternoon) in London, so that's definitely an option.

There was a Turkish place I'd spotted called Babaji on Shaftesbury avenue which looked pretty good. Nothing too fancy/elaborate by the look of it, we could probably go there for an early lunch on the Thursday...

Soldato
A couple of suggestions:

Cafe Spice Namaste near Tower Bridge. Absolutely amazing food. The gourmand tasting menu is a thing of beauty. You can either leave it up to them to decive what to give you or you can suggest the sort of things you like. They'll keep brining you food until you ask them to stop. Watch out for the dynamite piri piri squid, it's incredibly spicy.

Benares. Seems to divide opinion but I really like it.

M. We went to the Threadneedle street restaurant a few months ago and had the steak tasting board. The rump was possibly the tastiest piece of steak I've ever had but if I had to choose between M and Hawksmoor, I'd go for Hawksmoor.

Soldato
Gauthier in soho

Best restaurant in London for an amazing evening with the better half.

Not remotely close to steak but the best night hands down.

All the major steak restaurants are racing to the bottom at the moment. Just not worth it anymore: I’ll take clients there but if I was using my own money I’m going to gauthier.

Soldato
As per my other reply, I'd heartily recommend Berner's Tavern although it's pricey. The room is stunning. I still haven't been to Gymkhana but it is supposed to be amazing (also pricey but I figure that's not a problem if you like Hawksmoor!)

Others; Social Eating House (haven't eaten there but highly recommend booking for cocktails upstairs in The Blind Pig, the restaurant is supposed to be great and judging by the bar snacks I'd agree). Bob Bob Ricard is awesome, very glamorous and different. Bocca Di Lupo is lovely, but more like a neighbourhood italian in mood (food is stunning though). Something else casual but awesome; Senor Ceviche, or along those lines but more upmarket you could try Lima or Lima Floral (the former has a star). Ember Yard is pretty cool for meat/tapas/grills but again more relaxed. The Ninth on Charlotte Street is really good, would highly recommend. Kettner's in Soho is an institution that has recently reopened...

Associate
OP
As per my other reply, I'd heartily recommend Berner's Tavern although it's pricey. The room is stunning. I still haven't been to Gymkhana but it is supposed to be amazing (also pricey but I figure that's not a problem if you like Hawksmoor!)

Others; Social Eating House (haven't eaten there but highly recommend booking for cocktails upstairs in The Blind Pig, the restaurant is supposed to be great and judging by the bar snacks I'd agree). Bob Bob Ricard is awesome, very glamorous and different. Bocca Di Lupo is lovely, but more like a neighbourhood italian in mood (food is stunning though). Something else casual but awesome; Senor Ceviche, or along those lines but more upmarket you could try Lima or Lima Floral (the former has a star). Ember Yard is pretty cool for meat/tapas/grills but again more relaxed. The Ninth on Charlotte Street is really good, would highly recommend. Kettner's in Soho is an institution that has recently reopened...

Thanks for the recommendations will check them all out.

Has anyone been to Palomar? Israeli place just off Shaftesbury Avenue, tempted for lunch there one day.

Soldato
I've heard great things about it, but not been myself. Don't believe you can book so I can never be faffed with that nonsense.

Associate
OP
I've heard great things about it, but not been myself. Don't believe you can book so I can never be faffed with that nonsense.

I know what you mean, gonna try it for lunch one of the 2 days we're there. If its busy it's not as if there is nowhere else to try. Babaji Pide looks good too and it's just around the corner.

Bob Bob Ricard looks awesome!

Soldato
If you want a good lunch option and don't mind queueing then Bao is a good choice too. You'll have more chance getting into the one on Windmill street.

Associate
Being honest Hawksmoor is not as good as it was a few years ago. Not sure if this is down to expansion, different produce or something else.
If it's definitely steak yourey after I'd personally do Goodman's in Mayfair.

Soldato
got a reservation for Sunday Lunch at Hawksmoor SD soon, tempted to change
Do it

Whats_App_Image_2018-04-08_at_18.11.19.jpg

Whats_App_Image_2018-04-08_at_18.11.19_2.jpg
ai6q2otlp
g6d0tkast

Soldato
I went to Hawksmoor in Knightsbridge and had the most disappointing steak of my life. I've had much better steaks at Miller and Carter. I did however have a great meal at Goodman and would recommend that way above Hawksmoor.

Back
Top Bottom