HD-DVD playback problems...

Soldato
i bought powerDVD 7.3 the other day after upgrading my rig finally (£50 is pretty steep too :() and basically i just cant get any of my HD-DVD's to work

everytime i load one up it will start to play for about a second or 2 then I get an "incompatible graphics card driver" error message

I've got the latest ati drivers installed, plus this is a clean install so shouldnt have any conflicts

does anyone have any idea's how to sort this?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
its an x1950pro and im using the 7.6's from ati's webby

EDIT: surely it shouldnt matter too much about HDCP cos the x1950 is HDCP enabled, plus im using an analogue screen and connection???

Last edited:
Soldato
I ended up getting a standalone deck after having no end of problems with PowerDVD (and the price has gone down, as it was nearer £70-80 earlier in the year)

Soldato
OP
hmm, i'd like to use the 360's hd-dvd drive if i can cos i've hacked it up and mounted it inside one of my HTPC case's drive bay's. guess it may just be a case of waiting for a future update

I'm going to try older versions of a graphics driver incase it is the new one i'm using

Associate
Hi, I have managed to get it all working OK on my old setup which had an ATi X1950Pro card in it with the latest drivers... and I currently have it working fine on one of my newer setups with an ATi HD2900 XT and it all works fine.

Not sure if you are already using it, but I'd recommend you try out SlySoft's AnyDvdHD application... as it will remove any need for HDCP, etc, etc and it makes life much easier with the Xbox360 drive connected to a PC. You can download a trial from them and try it out.

Actually, thinking about it one of the problems I had when I first set the system up and was playing around with it, some of the HD-DVD discs will try and play the movie straight away and for some reason default to the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD soundtrack, which the application cant cope with and will cause PowerDVD to bomb out, with a similar error... it might not be connected, but have you tried a different disc? (I seem to recall I had problems with The Matrix)... a way around this is to use AnyDvdHD and create custom XPL scripts to select the audio track from the start...

Hope this helps!

Soldato
OP
I did try it with my old setup but i havnt had it installed since i got my new PC. i didnt see any point in installing it if im using an analogue screen with no HDCP to worry about

I'll get the trial again and see if that helps also

But its good news that someones got the 360 HD-DVD drive working with an x1950pro :)

Associate
I struggled to get it working over VGA, which is when I tried out the AnyDvdHD app... but its all working now and just waiting for my Blu-Ray writer to arrive to try out the Blu-Ray films...

Back
Top Bottom