HDD SMART Failed?

Associate
Hi all.

I have aS eagate 200GB HDD, got it about 2 months back from the Clearance section on OCUK.

Anyways I turned my machine on last night and it said something about the disk failing and to backup.

I pressed OK and it booted into Windows fine.

I've just turned it on again now and the same thing happened.

Is it going to die on me? It's only a couple of months old surely it should be fine. :confused:

Thanks!

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah ***** sake. It's only a few month old what could have caused that?

Now i'm going to have to put everything on the laptop.

Guess FTP will be the quickest way as if Network folders fail you have to start all over again.

SO ANNOYED!

Soldato
Phaser said:
Ah ***** sake. It's only a few month old what could have caused that?

Now i'm going to have to put everything on the laptop.

Guess FTP will be the quickest way as if Network folders fail you have to start all over again.

SO ANNOYED!

the recent hot weather?, i bought my hdd from ocuk b grade and that only lasted a few months aswell :rolleyes:

Soldato
I've got a Samsung drive that's been reporting imminent failure for over a year now. Suffice it to say, it hasn't died yet (though could at any second :D).

I suppose I should check on the warranty status, see if I can get it replaced. It's in the Linux/play box, so it doesn't really matter if it dies.

Associate
OP
Just checked the warranty and it's too old. :mad:

Going to get a Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-018-SA) - stupid question but it WILL work with the mobo from an Asus Vintage-AE1 I take it?

According to the specs it has 2 SATA ports and i've just read the guide at the top of this forum about SATA/SATA-II being backwards compatible.

Just need reassuring. :D

Associate
If you bought the drive only two months ago, how can it be "too old" and out of warrenty already? That does not make sense. I would be tempted to have a word with OCUK about it. I would expect more than two months use out of a drive - even if it came from 'B' Grade stock. (Unless you paid a very bargain price for it?) :confused:

As to SATA II drives on SATA I connectors - no problems there. I have a few drives like this. All backward compatible. :) It's nice when Standards work. :)

I had a Maxtor hard disk that a teenager had kicked around in his PC. (Yes - he litterally booted this PC out of his room one day....) This 40GB drive took only a month to go from SMART failing to total failiure. (But then that is Maxtor quality..... :rolleyes: )

Associate
Doug said:
I've got a Samsung drive that's been reporting imminent failure for over a year now. Suffice it to say, it hasn't died yet (though could at any second :D)
Same here.

I have been getting these Seek Error Rate alerts and have been doing so for months, I normally get one or two every week but my hard drive is still going strong!

http://i2.tinypic.com/206bhpz.jpg

I do make regular backups though just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom