HDMI cables with slimmer/low profile connectors for routing behind wall

Associate
Afternoon,

I'm attempting to run a 13m (edited, was 15m) HDMI cable to my TV through the wall cavity between the breeze block and the plasterboard, I've got my string in where I need it and am looking at which cable would be best based on the limited space in there.

Ideally It would have the standard male 'a' HDMI connector on both ends for simplicity sake, but I'm not sure any of the chunkier connectors would fit in my cavity (oooerrr) which is about 12mm ish. I'm struggling to find any cables where they give the dimensions of the connector although a few of them do look like they are worth a go, but at £30 a pop or I was hoping to avoid pot luck! Also not sure if I should get an optical/AOC version... that's a new thing for me, didn't know these existed!

Other option is a cable with mini HDMI connectors and then using adaptors I guess, but was hoping to try the standard connector first to avoid extra steps...

Any ideas welcome, or if you've bought a specific HDMI cable and know it's a slim connector I'd appreciate knowing which one you've got!

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
15m is quite long.
Run two cables, one for backup.

I'd probably run Cat cable with a Extron HDMI Dtp Tx/Rx unit at each end. Cheap from Ebay.

Thanks Molep, I was hoping to avoid additional powered devices if I'm honest so trying to avoid things like the Extron, but it's certainly in my mind as a good backup option.

I didn't know that website existed, thanks for that -8mm thick, that is beautiful! I'm definitely running two, and running four cat6 cables up there too even though I should only need 2, totally agree with you on that!

Associate
OP
I've had a re-measure I reckon I can get away with 12m but was looking mainly at 15m as that was the next step from 10m on the sites I'd been looking at.

I think to be fair a 12m version of the cable suggested by Molep is my best bet it seems? It's for an NVR so whilst I'd like it to be decent quality it doesn't need to be too nuts. I am phrasing it like that as it's the extent of my knowledge of HDMI :D

Associate
OP
Thanks cuke, it's for an NVR and to be honest the ability to get it in the cavity is likely a bigger concern for me, so unless I'm able to find an HDMI 2 cable with small connectors (which I've not had much luck with so far), I think I'll likely be ending up with the option from cablesuk.

Associate
OP
Is it a fibre-optic cable? Because the transceivers are larger and the cable is more fragile.
I'm looking at those, it's interesting you say that because the marketing for them implies the optical cable is less fragile than the older copper type. I mentioned in a previous post I think I can get away with 12m, so I am thinking standard cable will do me fine, just need one with smallest connectors possible.

Associate
OP
Can you buy the bits to make your own HDMI cables?
Im not sure if my ability to find stuff on the internet is failing me but I was looking at HDMI faceplates as I'm already going to have to terminate the network cabling in to faceplates anyway, all I could find were faceplates that had a female HDMI in the back to female on the faceplate, a bit like an extender but in a faceplate. Have not been able to find anything that would let me poke an 'endless' cable through the cavity and then terminate it in to a socket or connector etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The reolink NVR - do the cams actually need to be plugged into it?

You could put the NVR behind the TV and then terminate the cameras into a PoE switch. Then all your running is a cat5.

I did think about this but unfortunately relocating the NVR would be a lot more effort than I can currently be arsed with.

I'd seen the same article, thanks.

I really appreciate your help everyone, thank you. I think in this case I am going to simply opt for the 13m version of the small head cable from cablesuk, and see how I go. At some point I'll likely look at better options but for my current situation this makes the most sense.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately I don't have the space or electrical capacity behind my TV for the NVR and it's PSU. I haven't mentioned that the NVR is also connected to a different TV where it's currently located (using the VGA port) so I'd have the same issue just the other way around, certainly an option for some but not in my case.

Back
Top Bottom