HDMI In for PC

Associate
Hi,

My sky box is getting full so I was hoping to record onto my PC. I am trying to find a simple PCIe card with an HDMI In or something, it only needs to record 1080p at 60hz and I don't need any software.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Soldato
You'll want a capture card but they're not cheap. And they usually don't have HDCP so the Sky box may cause a fuss and not display anything. Elgato is a good brand and I have no issues with mine at 1080p 60Hz. Apparently some HDMI splitters can strip HDCP but it's hit and miss on which ones are able to do so.

Easier option is to maybe see if you can upgrade the drive in the Sky Box itself?

Associate
If the capture card isn’t an option, Could put them on to an external hard drive and leave it in the back of the tv or get one of these network hard drives so it’s accessible on more devices. That’s what I do.

Soldato
If the capture card isn’t an option, Could put them on to an external hard drive and leave it in the back of the tv or get one of these network hard drives so it’s accessible on more devices. That’s what I do.
Does that work for Sky recorded shows? In my experience most TVs and decoders encrypt everything and it's locked to that particular device. But then I'm often the one trying to recover stuff rather than the one using the devices...

Associate
When I copied the contents of my 300 GB Sky HDD to a new 2 TB one via my PC, I noticed there was a sizeable chunk of recordings that could be played on the PC. They were from free to air or free to view channels, I forget which exactly is the one without any encryption. Could be a way of freeing up a decent amount of space.

Otherwise it sounds like it'd be worth paying the bit extra for Sky Boxsets if you don't already. There's tons of shows on there that can be downloaded on demand so you don't have to store them locally.

Back
Top Bottom