HDR on windows 10

Associate
Hi, I recently built a gaming pc and I have a HDR tv but it looks washed out. I have a 1080ti graphics card and HDR on windows 10 is set to on. On nvidia settings my desktop colour depth is 32, output colour depth is 12 bit and output dynamic range is limited. It won't allow me to put it to full which is strange as my ps4 allows me to. Watching hdr movies has very washed out blacks, almost like grey and hdr games also look washed out. Is there any settings I should change? I 'm using a sony xe90 tv so it should be goof for hdr. A link to my tv is below, thanks.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xe9005-series

Permabanned
Lots of nvidia cards need firmware updates, including many GTX1080 and GTX1080Ti, at least that's what I've read.

Wait until next generation cards, HDR is to glitchy right now.

Soldato
Lots of nvidia cards need firmware updates, including many GTX1080 and GTX1080Ti, at least that's what I've read.

Wait until next generation cards, HDR is to glitchy right now.

If it was the firmware update that was released last week then sadly that only seems to help with 4K 144Hz HDR screens by updating DP to 1.4. Doesn't solve the actual washed out issue. Apparently HDR was working better before the Windows creators update, at least for games. But the fix will probably require both Nvidia and Microsoft to fix it.

No idea if AMD cards are affected. I see complaints mostly with Nvidia cards :p.

Caporegime
Well then that rules out nvidia for me! :/

Got an OLED HDR TV so I want to get proper HDR support.

Means I might have to make do with vega 56/64 then.....

EDIT:

Just looking, apparently nvidia works fine with HDR and also, they are the recommended for when it comes to UHD/HDR films.

Associate
OP
I downloaded the April update for windows 10 and they added a new option in display settings called HDR and WCG settings with a slider. I moved the slider up and the contrast appears better with whiter whites and darker blacks. Also after the update my nvidia output colour depth is stuck at rgb 8 bits and doesn't have an option for 10 or 12 bit which is strange because my tv supports 12 bit which should be better. Also the dynamic range is now at full. I don't know why the options for 10 and 12 bit have disappeared though.

Associate
I downloaded the April update for windows 10 and they added a new option in display settings called HDR and WCG settings with a slider. I moved the slider up and the contrast appears better with whiter whites and darker blacks. Also after the update my nvidia output colour depth is stuck at rgb 8 bits and doesn't have an option for 10 or 12 bit which is strange because my tv supports 12 bit which should be better. Also the dynamic range is now at full. I don't know why the options for 10 and 12 bit have disappeared though.

At 4K 60 fps 4:4:4 8-bit is the highest you can get. This is to do with bandwidth limitations on HDMI 2.0 standard.

Associate
I didn't know that. Will hdmi 2.1 make a difference then?

Yes probably. HDMI 2.0b has a Transmission Bandwidth of 18.0 Gbit/s while HDMI 2.1 is rated at 48.0 Gbit/s. But you need 2.1 at both ends. 2.1 is very new and I am not aware of any TV's, monitors or gpus that have implemented it yet. Someone else may know better.

Soldato
in Nvidia CP I just use

3240x2160 native
4:2:2 (cant have 4:4:4 because of what #11 said)
10bpc

TV OSD says HDR mode on

Works fine with Shadow Warrior 2 and HDR mkv's.

Back
Top Bottom