Headphone/Headset recommendation

Associate
Hey guys, I'm currently after either a pair of headphones or a headset, predominantly for gaming, as well as a bit of music and personal editing on the side.

My budget is £150 maximum, ideally they would be under £100. I don't want to have to buy a DAC or an amp to power them, just want straightforward audio.

I have an X99 deluxe V1 which they'll be connected to, mainly for use on my pc but I also have a PS4 and potentially the Nintendo Switch in the future, so it would be amazing if they could be used for each.

Open or semi open back isn't an issue, I don't need noise cancellation and I think I'd prefer the more open soundstage. I don't need a microphone either, I have a dedicated desk mic.

I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's 250 Ohm. There a good all rounder according to Mad Envy's headphone guide, not sure if they'd necessarily need an amp/dac, but I doubt they'll be useable on PS4.

I've also been looking at the Hyper X Cloud 1 & 2's, they've have good reviews, would be compatible for both systems, have a microphone but I don't have to use it, they have 60 ohm impedance which might be a tad high for PS4 use? The 1's can be bought for just over £50 on the rainforest, I don't know if I'd need or use the 7.1 USB sound card on the 2's.

Has anyone got any experience with either of these, or recommendations for others? I'd really appreciate some advice, all the best and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Associate
I've got DT 770 pros, lovely headphones. Also my housemate bought the same pair without knowing I did. We both write music & I can't recommend them enough. I don't know how the 9s compare to the 7s, but I would buy beyers again 100%

What we like admit them is we need them for accurate translation to soundsystems, which they do nicely.

Soldato
DT770 Pro come in three different variants; 32, 80 and 250 Ohm. 32 and 80 Ohm will be easier to drive than 250 Ohm headphones. 990 Pro only comes in 250 Ohm.

32 Ohm will be best if you intend to use them with PS4 as well, but they do come with a shorter 1.2m cable, compared to the 3m of the 80 Ohm. Both are straight cables whereas the 250 Ohm headphones have 3m coiled cables.

If you don't need the microphone, I'd go for the Beyer's over the HyperX Cloud's.

Sennheiser HD558 are another good choice for a gaming headphone that easy to drive and within budget. Totally different sound to the Beyer's though; more laid back, whereas the Beyer's are more aggressive.

Associate
I own the Hyper X cloud headset and also quite a few other headsets. I recommend them over any other headset for quality and value per performance. The only issue about them is that the microphone on them isn't so great, but it is detachable and a bending coil style to it. Overall I recommend it.

C64

C64

Soldato
I'd just get the Hyper X cloud as it doesn't sound like you're in to listening to music in flac with headphone amps etc.

Soldato
AKG K550 MK2's here connected to a soundblaster z soundcard. Closed back but really wide soundstage, thumbs up from me :)

I have some 550s also, but the cat got to the ear pads and they are ruined now, and i dont know where to get " proper" pads from sadly, got some cheap pads but they are pretty crap , too stiff and a little too small, cant even fit over my ears :(

Back
Top Bottom