Headphone help please.

Soldato
I currently have my eyes on beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250ohms headphones but don't know what else I will need along with them. They will primarily be used for gaming and music on my PC, plus using on guitar multi effect pedals such as the line 6 pod 500X. But mostly for at my PC gaming/youtube/music. Currently using a soundblaster ZXR soundcard which seems pretty decent. Would I plug into that or need something else for best quality. Thanks I'm a bit clueless at all this.

You should be able to drive those headphones from the ZxR. So it should just be as simple as plugging them in.

The way to improve the quality of the audio would be buying a new external DAC/AMP (as I'm not sure you can get a better internal soundcard). That said it you try the DT990 Pros with the ZxR and like the sound then you're good to go.

I have the same headphones and run them off a ae5, I did try them with my mobo on board audio and it sounded very similar, so would suspect your card would be fine. I'm sure you could talk yourself into an upgrade to the audio later if needed

Last edited:
Thanks for that, yes the sound card has very good audio it comes with an accessible audio control module, that it's on desk and a DB pro daughter board that I don't really know what it does. But I would be willing to buy a Dac/Amp too. Nothing too crazy I here creative do one of these too?

Thanks for that, yes the sound card has very good audio it comes with an accessible audio control module, that it's on desk and a DB pro daughter board that I don't really know what it does. But I would be willing to buy a Dac/Amp too. Nothing too crazy I here creative do one of these too?

I used to own the ZxR years ago. I quickly bought it one day to solve a problem with the ASUS Phoebus (interference) and was blown away by the improvement compared to that card. If I remember correctly the daughter board adds extra features, inputs and capabilities for recording. I didn't bother with it for gaming, music or films. I did change it for a Sound Blaster X7 as I was becoming much more of a multi-platform gamer (i.e. not just a PC). It is still a capable soundcard.

I think whether need a new soundcard or external DAC/AMP would depend on what you're upgrading for; physical controls, lots of inputs, newer software, features etc. Creative have all their external soundcards like the: GC7, X5, X4 and G6 which will all give you newer software and extra features. Improvement in audio quality I'm not sure, but certainly you're get newer software and features to use. For example; SXFi 3D audio. I suppose the answer whether you need to stay with Creative or not depends on whether you use their software/features: i.e. Virtual Surround, mic input etc.

However with a £100-200+ external stereo DAC/AMP, such as a Fiio K11/K5 Pro/K7, iFi Zen DAC, Topping DX3+ etc. you are likely to get a bigger improvement in audio quality, particularly with music listening. Also you don't have to worry about software drivers and is much more 'plug and play'. However you'll lose the 'gaming' software and features. Some of this can be simulated with software; like Windows Sonic/Dolby Atmos for Headphones/DTS:X for headphones on Windows 11 (3D audio for games that support it), or APO (EQ etc.). But whether you want that or not is going to depend on what you prefer.

I used to own the ZxR years ago. I quickly bought it one day to solve a problem with the ASUS Phoebus (interference) and was blown away by the improvement compared to that card. If I remember correctly the daughter board adds extra features, inputs and capabilities for recording. I didn't bother with it for gaming, music or films. I did change it for a Sound Blaster X7 as I was becoming much more of a multi-platform gamer (i.e. not just a PC). It is still a capable soundcard.

I think whether need a new soundcard or external DAC/AMP would depend on what you're upgrading for; physical controls, lots of inputs, newer software, features etc. Creative have all their external soundcards like the: GC7, X5, X4 and G6 which will all give you newer software and extra features. Improvement in audio quality I'm not sure, but certainly you're get newer software and features to use. For example; SXFi 3D audio. I suppose the answer whether you need to stay with Creative or not depends on whether you use their software/features: i.e. Virtual Surround, mic input etc.

However with a £100-200+ external stereo DAC/AMP, such as a Fiio K11/K5 Pro/K7, iFi Zen DAC, Topping DX3+ etc. you are likely to get a bigger improvement in audio quality, particularly with music listening. Also you don't have to worry about software drivers and is much more 'plug and play'. However you'll lose the 'gaming' software and features. Some of this can be simulated with software; like Windows Sonic/Dolby Atmos for Headphones/DTS:X for headphones on Windows 11 (3D audio for games that support it), or APO (EQ etc.). But whether you want that or not is going to depend on what you prefer.
Some excellent advice thank you for that I do apreciate it. As you rightly say the ZXR is a good card so i may hold onto it for a while longer. I just want comfortable good quality headphones that dont hurt my ears after a while of use. Ive heard good things about the DT990 Pros but was unsure if i really needed an Dac/Amp as well. Im not really too bothered about the software side of things as the most i do is change the odd equaliser settings, so no worries there. The only other thing i think id need an Dac/Amp for is a few of my guitar amplifiers as a few of the practice ones i use are a bit weak on headphones so maybes that, however i'll take a look at some of the ones you mentioned.

Some excellent advice thank you for that I do apreciate it. As you rightly say the ZXR is a good card so i may hold onto it for a while longer. I just want comfortable good quality headphones that dont hurt my ears after a while of use. Ive heard good things about the DT990 Pros but was unsure if i really needed an Dac/Amp as well. Im not really too bothered about the software side of things as the most i do is change the odd equaliser settings, so no worries there. The only other thing i think id need an Dac/Amp for is a few of my guitar amplifiers as a few of the practice ones i use are a bit weak on headphones so maybes that, however i'll take a look at some of the ones you mentioned.
Np. The DT990 Pros will be fine with the ZxR.

The only issue may be the Beyerdynamic trademark V shape sound where some people don't like the treble and find them too fatiguing or siblent. The three Beyer's I've owned over the years have all been comfortable, so hopefully you get on well with them.

"It took all of a few seconds to want to rip the DT 990 off my head as I always start with female vocals and this headphone shred the vocals to pieces. And proceeded to drill into your head with those shards!"

"It took all of a few seconds to want to rip the DT 990 off my head as I always start with female vocals and this headphone shred the vocals to pieces. And proceeded to drill into your head with those shards!"
Ill have a look thanks.

Also looking at Wireless so narrowed it down to 2 Qinux Rhitmo or Sennheiser Momentum 4. Only adding the Quinux purely because of the google review it came out top on bestbuyersguide.org

While Source and amp(more than source) make a difference the biggest difference you are going to hear will be the headphones you choose. Read some reviews. Nothing would replace you being able to audition them but I know that is nigh on impossible in the UK. Don't get sucked in to the whole cables debate either. EQ if you can - check out apo and peace if you want a graphic user interface for it and there is plenty of sites that will give you dial in settings that will allow you to dial in a headphone for the harman curve (google it if you don't know what it is). No one can tell you what is the best headphone for you what we can tell you is headphones that are popular and most like but music is like art and people hear different things and prefer different things to an extent. e.g some like more base than others but generally the harman target is what people like.

If you want an absolute cracker of a headphone for the price look at HD650, HD6XX, HD600 from Sennheiser or Hifman there is Sundara all of these are good bang for buck. Not necessarily amazing "gaming" headphones but there is no such thing as a gaming headphone really beyond a microphone and perhaps sound staging. If you like music you are better going for a hifi headphone and just use them for gaming. HD6XX headphones are legendary and have stood the test of time. Sennheiser HD490 PRO's worth a look as well if you can stretch.

Audeze maxwell was very well received as well if you want wireless and has microphone. Consider that any wireless headphone has a life time as that battery they all have won't last forever.

Last edited:
Also looking at Wireless so narrowed it down to 2 Qinux Rhitmo or Sennheiser Momentum 4. Only adding the Quinux purely because of the google review it came out top on bestbuyersguide.org
Those aren't going to be great for gaming, more portable Bluetooth headphones that will suit 'music on the go' use. Even if they have an 3.5mm aux mode they won't be the best choice for PC gaming & music.

The Audeze Maxwell's are probably the best choice for wireless gaming atm (as mentioned). For wired options; Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R, Sennheiser HD560S or AKG K701/2 are all great options around the £120-30ish range. I personally didn't mind the treble spike on the DT990 Pros although they were a bit of an all-rounder set for me and didn't like them as much as the DT770 Pro (closed-back) or aforementioned TYGRs. You also have the Drop + EPOS PC38X which is tuned so well for gaming if you can find it (£150). For music I really like the HD650s, again as mentioned above, and they can game. Although I prefer headphone/sets with a single cable going into them for gaming.

With regards to the DT990 pro 250ohm.

I have this set of headphones and use them everyday. Have used them for gaming but mostly music.

I love them as they are the most comfortable set of headphones I have ever used. I have owned the Philips Fidelio 1 and 2, 598's, gold ring Dr 150 and various other cheaper headphones over the years.

I was really concerned about the treble being overpowering as I am very very sensitive to it. I have never noticed it and find I can wear them for hours at a time.

Back
Top Bottom