Headphone jack replacement

Soldato
yes so i had a slight accident with my denon ahd2000s ,got up and forgot were on my head ,they now lose sound on one side unless i get in a certain position.
so has anyone used the online repair service like fixmyheadphones,co,uk or the electronic partners one
or any high street places ? tried phone shops ect but to be fair im talking bodmin
or buy a soldering iron ?

Soldato
Buy a (decent) soldering iron, watch some YouTube videos. IMO if you can solder headphones you can solder most household objects. They have quirks that make it a fiddle.

Then you can replace the cable as often as necessary until the drivers wear out :)

Soldato
OP
well i know someone who can lend me a soldering iron .maybe will give it a bash ,plenty of cable to go at

2eefw28.jpg

Soldato
Main thing is that solder-able plugs are usually bulky. Another option is to buy a new plug/cable assembly, and replace at the speaker end. You can also do custom length then!

Soldato
the plug he has is bulky, as is the cable, I needed a rean NYS231BG-LL large entry ~£2 for similar sized cable

... but yes - can be delicate stripping(strippers help) the insulation, checking no stray cable fragments, and tinning them up if they prove to be not 100% copper. ..

cable could also be broken before the plug ... so check that before doing a final solder ... which justifies the replace at speaker end approach.

how much do the headphone company want ? it's at least 30minutes work I would say ... find nearest hifi shop and call them for recommendations ?

Soldato
Sometimes the cable inside is quite hard to solder. I tried on some cheapo ones and it was almost like thread with little bits of copper intertwined.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Use Bluetooth headphones.

used to frequent headfi a hell of a lot ,when i did the quality of bluetooth headphones was regarded as very very poor compared to quality standard headphones ,i had the ultrasone hfi750 ,but the denons ended my quest ,i couldnt afford (or justify the price) of the ahd7000 at the time
only using the output of a gaming laptop but its surprisingly good (i have a portable flac player with line out to a neco amp but prefer the laptop),probebly go down this route soon though https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red
need to fix them anyway but unless things have radically changed will stick to wired

Back
Top Bottom