Headphones for gaming advice - positional sound

Associate
OP
So update on this - I had a go on my PC with the K550's...

Definitely an improvement in music - games were 'ok' but I'm at still not blown away especially with positional audio which I though would be amazing. I'm not really feeling a significant difference to the Hyper x Cloud 2's... :(

I think they may be making a return to Richer Sounds...

I have, however, been swayed by the Beyerdynamic MX300 2nd gen headset which I found for a bargain 'houseware' deal at the forest which rains a lot for £100 cheaper than their normal asking price.

Their proclaimed sound quality, build quality, comfort and warranty stood out as well as a top quality mic that looks as if it could beat the modmic 4.

They will arrive later in the week and I'll post my findings... excited!

Soldato
So update on this - I had a go on my PC with the K550's...

Definitely an improvement in music - games were 'ok' but I'm at still not blown away especially with positional audio which I though would be amazing. I'm not really feeling a significant difference to the Hyper x Cloud 2's... :(
Closed design is always big challenge.

Though if signal doesn't contain proper spatial cues (stereo speaker mix doesn't) there's no positioning so did you check with these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
https://youtu.be/B8xZp0WPwxs?t=13m4s

And that standard stereo still sucks even with absolute top/high level headphones with sound inside one ear/in center of head...
I mean I got AKG K702/K712, Beyer DT990 and (tape keeping parts for mfalling) Sennheiser HD595.

Associate
I just go for decent priced ones and hjope for the best to be honest

Good ones can be bad and v versa too. It is "trial and error" I think

V F

V F

Soldato
They will sound very flat compared to other headphones, and so, may sound 'bad' to you.

And that's okay - they do to me too. I don't like a flat sound signature, so I buy headphones which don't.

If you're near me at all, you're more than welcome to give the MMX 300 a go, which have a much more V shaped sound

It’s what you’ve been used to. Though I can never understand how most people love so much bass and treble.

Soldato
It’s what you’ve been used to. Though I can never understand how most people love so much bass and treble.
I don't like an overly emphasised bass and treble, in fact I prefer a slightly more subdued treble, pronounced mids and more depth and punch to the bass without it being bloated. This is what for me, the Momentums do so well, and is the biggest 'issue' I have with the MMX 300 - they're fatiguing to listen to for extended periods, even at lower than normal volume, due to the harsher than average highs.

Associate
OP
Closed design is always big challenge.

Though if signal doesn't contain proper spatial cues (stereo speaker mix doesn't) there's no positioning so did you check with these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
https://youtu.be/B8xZp0WPwxs?t=13m4s

And that standard stereo still sucks even with absolute top/high level headphones with sound inside one ear/in center of head...
I mean I got AKG K702/K712, Beyer DT990 and (tape keeping parts for mfalling) Sennheiser HD595.

Yeah I tried those on my phone when I was away the other week and they sounds pretty good then - but when I got them on my PC (well certainly playing Overwatch), I was disappointed.

Associate
OP
Well folks - a massive THANK YOU for all your advice; I really, really have appreciated it - I think the journey has come to a (very happy) end now...

I eventually decided to return the AKG K550's today - unfortunately they were just not for me :(

I have, however, now got the Beyerdynamic MX300 Gen2 headset and I absolutely love it!

All-around sound quality is so clear, punchy and has an amazing soundstage - quite unlike anything I've heard before and I haven't had to tweak any settings at all (haven't needed to apply any EQ or additional bass etc..)

When coupled with Razer Surround, this is exactly what I was looking for - every sound is so distinct and I can really now make out every sound, footstep etc.. with such clarity.

Microphone quality is insanely good, the headset is so comfortable to wear and the build quality is insanely good.

Comes in a hard carry case with detachable (but not too easily - which is great) cables.

Very, very happy punter indeed - I think I'll be a Beyer fan for a long time now; these are the cans for me :)

Back
Top Bottom