Headphones for Vive?

Associate
What headphones are people planning to use with their Vive?

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 558 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x so far but cannot make my mind up.

On the surface, the HD 558 seem like an ideal choice for VR given they are open design and supposedly very comfortable. Also, the open design is better for positional audio and sound stage, which is reportedly an important ingredient in adding to presence in VR.

On the other hand, I also listen to electronic music and have heard that the bass is not amazing on the HD 558. This got me looking at the ATH-M50x, however these are closed design and would therefore limit immersion.

Maybe I'm over analysing this? Both are roughly the same price (£120 ish) and I don't want to spend more than this really.

Associate
I'll be using my Astro A50's wirelessly when I'm moving around. For sitting down I have the Roccat Kaves. I think the sound quality is much better on the Kaves and they're a lot more solid and more comfortable.

Associate
A closed design should increase immersion, since it locks you out from the sound of the outside world. The disadvantage is smaller sound stage however.

I have the ATH-M50x's, and they are a fantastic set of headphones.

If I was buying in that price range today, I'd probably go for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80-ohm version. These seem to be widely agreed to be mildly better (and more comfy) than the M50x's. And slightly cheaper too. They're also good at bass.

Soldato
Something good at positional audio. Closed or opened... Up to you. You'll already be visually isolated anyway. Will it be a shared experience with people around you? Being completely closed off doing room-scale, maybe too much?

Associate
I'll be sporting a pair of Steelseries Wireless H headphones (yes, yes more money than sense!)... will be curious how heavy the headset 318g and the Vive 555g feels after an hour of gaming!

I have some bluetooth Sennheisers too if it doesn't suit... will have to wrestle them off the wife tho!

Soldato
the wireless H's are surprisingly good even if pricey.

unlike most gaming headphones they don't sound half bad and the functionality is incredible. I'd say if they were a bit cheaper they'd be a solid purchase.

Associate
I'll be using my Astro A50's wirelessly when I'm moving around. For sitting down I have the Roccat Kaves. I think the sound quality is much better on the Kaves and they're a lot more solid and more comfortable.

I'm so sorry about your headphones, please never listen to marketing BS.

I think you can have open design headphones it will give you a way better sound stage and that for immersion is a must.

Don
Has anyone else tried the Kingston HyperX Cloud II headphones? They seem like they are getting good reviews are reasonably priced...

I have them, no problems and very comfortable.

Are you planning on connecting the headphones directly to the HMD or via the USB DAC supplied with the headset? What did the demo use?

I'm trying to decide on a new set too. :)

Associate
There is a Kickstarter campaign running at the moment for 3D audio headphones which use head-related transfer function (HRTF). The campaign has just less than a month to go and

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/248983394/ossic-x-the-first-3d-audio-headphones-calibrated-t/

In case you didn't know the Oculus Rift in-bulit headphone use similar technology, although OSSIC X look much better. However since the Oculus Rift CV1 has no USB port on the HMD it would be another cable from the PC to us another set of headphones, of course the vive doesn't have this issue.

Some would say they have been forward thinking...

Associate
There is a Kickstarter campaign running at the moment for 3D audio headphones which use head-related transfer function (HRTF). The campaign has just less than a month to go and

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/248983394/ossic-x-the-first-3d-audio-headphones-calibrated-t/

In case you didn't know the Oculus Rift in-bulit headphone use similar technology, although OSSIC X look much better. However since the Oculus Rift CV1 has no USB port on the HMD it would be another cable from the PC to us another set of headphones, of course the vive doesn't have this issue.

Some would say they have been forward thinking...
They look very interesting. 2017 January release date is a shame though.

Associate
Just received a set of refurb HyperX Cloud II headsets.

Largest set I've ever owned, definitely more noticeable on the head but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Like the sound, although I'm not entirely sure how good the virtual 7.1 is, I've tried a few test files but its not exactly super obvious where the sound is supposed to be coming from, thought it would be better to be honest. Perhaps I have them configured wrong?

Back
Top Bottom