• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

"heads up" GPU task Manager The tools for monitoring GPU

Soldato
Microsoft released GPU monitoring inside the new task manager for the Windows Fall creators update. Because the way this works build directly into the Operating system, Microsoft are saying this is the most accurate way to find out how much Vram and usage the GPU is using.

The data in the Task Manager is gathered directly from VidSch and VidMm. As such, performance data for the GPU is available no matter what API is being used, whether it be Microsoft DirectX API, OpenGL, OpenCL, Vulkan or even proprietary API such as AMD's Mantle or Nvidia's CUDA. Further, because VidMm and VidSch are the actual agents making decisions about using GPU resources, the data in the Task Manager will be more accurate than many other utilities, which often do their best to make intelligent guesses since they do not have access to the actual data.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2017/07/21/gpus-in-the-task-manager/

Soldato
You do know this is nothing new but at least it's a start of development, and we actually have a tool called process explorer that monitors memory usage and gpu load.
At the moment we have features in Afterburner like monitoring and graphiong, Gpu-z for video engine load etc, and cspecific onfig settings in wattman, So it woud be nice if just one tool could manage the whole lot.

Associate
I'm so excited for that! Quite fed up of 3rd party apps (even MSI afterburner) to monitor GPU performance. Going to be real nice to have it all bundled as one in TM

Soldato
OP
You do know this is nothing new but at least it's a start of development, and we actually have a tool called process explorer that monitors memory usage and gpu load.
At the moment we have features in Afterburner like monitoring and graphiong, Gpu-z for video engine load etc, and cspecific onfig settings in wattman, So it woud be nice if just one tool could manage the whole lot.

I have :) but isn't this just the same has other software on how it access the GPU? From what I reading from the website blog from Microsoft task manager access the GPU differently?

Soldato
I've not played about with the Task Manager much, how do you get it to show the GPU info and CPU info on one screen or is it already on one screen now?

I find it handy to know what my CPU is doing at the same time as my GPU.
Also does it show fan speeds/percentages and temperatures?

Thinking about it, if the benefit of this is more accuracy, what are people doing with this info that requires such accuracy that Afterburner or the like is of no use?

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom