Heads up - Hitachi 18v drill

Soldato
I've just picked one up, was ordering some dimmer switches and noticed the offer and thought it was too good to refuse given my existing cordless drill has a serious problem with the clutch!

Looks decent and for the money I don't think I can complain!

Associate
Just replaced my old trusty Hitachi with a brushless DeWalt. She served me well for nearly four years of relentless abuse!

Soldato
1.5a battery tho eeeww

Having two means you should never have no power though and it keeps the drill weight down which I guess is the thinking behind it. For my DIY use it will be more than adequate but I can see a professional working non stop all day boarding out or similar may want something a little beefier! I wouldn't have been replacing my ancient B and Q own brand 14V jobbie if I hadn't destroyed the clutch recently fitting skirting boards to a wall that was about as straight and flat as the Himalayas!

Soldato
Depends on charging time for the not in use battery. As you say tho would be ok for the odd job around the house i suppose. Imo tho the cheap diy stuff isnt worth buying as it just doesnt last like the higher end. (Not knocking anyone who thinks differently ofc)

I use a dewalt 18v XR li-on with 4ah batts for work. Fantastic bit of kit and bullett proof Survived a few falls from ladders etc. only need 2 batterys to last the day rather than 4/5 of my old 2ah AEG nicad drill.

Edit :- on offer at the moment too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dewalt-Lithium-Ion-2-Speed-Complete-Batteries/dp/B008LAFW04

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on charging time for the not in use battery. As you say tho would be ok for the odd job around the house i suppose. Imo tho the cheap diy stuff isnt worth buying as it just doesnt last like the higher end. (Not knocking anyone who thinks differently ofc)

I use a dewalt 18v XR li-on with 4ah batts for work. Fantastic bit of kit and bullett proof Survived a few falls from ladders etc. only need 2 batterys to last the day rather than 4/5 of my old 2ah AEG nicad drill.

Edit :- on offer at the moment too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dewalt-Lithium-Ion-2-Speed-Complete-Batteries/dp/B008LAFW04

Full charge time for the spare battery is about 20 minutes, smaller battery quicker charge so beyond the hassle of swapping out batteries more frequently it should be fine.

I can see why a pro working all day every day would want something better as you will be giving it much more of a hammering and swapping out batteries all the time would be more of a pain. The average home DIY user is unlikely to be regularly doing anything that will bother this drill I suspect and I'm hoping it lasts as well as my cheapo B and Q one which did 10 years of regular DIY including several falls from the top of my steps when doing picture rails! The only really annoying thing about it was the battery going flat in the cupboard so I needed to plan when I was going to use it which hopefully the lith-ion will fix.

Associate
How much is it normally? I need a drill/driver for home use. Only have a very old mains drill that's a bit stiff to turn the chuck key.

Back
Top Bottom