Health and Safety gorn mad

Associate
I'm in the process of buying a new build house and we were warned by the developer of a new regulation coming to new houses.

May I present the "safety" bar

YDqQtIu.jpeg

It's supposedly to stop people people falling out of windows :confused:

As there's also a radiator under the window the developer said you normally get one of two replies.

a: (Parents) - "Kids will use it to hold on to and climb on the radiator"

b: (Single blokes) - "Is it for hanging socks on to dry?"

They made sure to say it was only held on by wall plugs and if the owner removed it after moving in then who was to know ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Funnily enough, I had a new front (fire) door fitted today that automatically shuts.

On the inside they slapped on a big ugly sign reminding me to shut it.

Soldato
It's not new, first reference I checked for building regulations 2010 the 2013 edition has it mentioned under K2 that if the bottom of the window is below 800mm then some form of guard rail is required. These are developers using taller windows rather than wider ones to meet minimum light requirements in rooms while maximising wall space for beds and wardrobes.

Honestly I wish I had this in my flat as any view sitting down is up at sky and not around the rest of the estate, also as you mentioned it would be great for hanging socks on.

Soldato
It's not new, first reference I checked for building regulations 2010 the 2013 edition has it mentioned under K2 that if the bottom of the window is below 800mm then some form of guard rail is required. These are developers using taller windows rather than wider ones to meet minimum light requirements in rooms while maximising wall space for beds and wardrobes.

Honestly I wish I had this in my flat as any view sitting down is up at sky and not around the rest of the estate, also as you mentioned it would be great for hanging socks on.

...only socks?

Soldato
That bar is crazy. How long will it be until we cant open windows all the way like a hotel
You can't - most modern windows have a safety latch. My friend bought a newish house and the survey commented it had dangerous windows because the safety latch opened more than 4 inches or something. It's daft but it does make sense, and it isn't hard to disable to open it fully.

Soldato
You can't - most modern windows have a safety latch. My friend bought a newish house and the survey commented it had dangerous windows because the safety latch opened more than 4 inches or something. It's daft but it does make sense, and it isn't hard to disable to open it fully.

Yeah our house has them. I removed them in our bedroom as they're a PITA. Kept in a drawer to refit when we move again.

Soldato
I'm in the process of buying a new build house and we were warned by the developer of a new regulation coming to new houses.

YDqQtIu.jpeg

As there's also a radiator under the window the developer said you normally get one of two replies.

They made sure to say it was only held on by wall plugs and if the owner removed it after moving in then who was to know ;)
So you're going to have to do DIY on your brand new house. Nice

Soldato

YDqQtIu.jpeg

Are you sure that the reason for it

As i thought it was to handcuff the kids to so they can't leave the room

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom