Heat/exhaust shield came loose - how to remove it

It looks like a heat exhaust shield, the undertray of my car has come off before (pothole), and it was very different.
Is it a MOT faliure to not have a heat shield?
I guess either way it's going to the garage tommorow so hopefully it'll get replaced tommorow and it won't be too much in cost. Lesson learnt I guess. Still could be a lot worse, thought I might have flooded the engine but given the car started fine and the noise doesn't seem to correspond to that of an engine with water (from what i know and what i've seen online), it seems to just be the shield.
Did you not see my post above?
It's an undertray mate
That just looks like plastic undertray, definitely want to unclip/unscrew it, some of it is probably resting against your exhaust... That can only end well :cry:

OP FWIW, the heatshield is usually shiny looking aluminum with a pattern/texture on it...
iu

Last edited:
I'll see if i can get a better picture in daylight or when it stops raining, but it looked like a shield to me and that's what the police officer said, i'll have another look
Yeah I'm guessing he's just using basic terminology? In the pic you posted, it just looked like the thin wet plastic of an undertray that's been folded/rolled up from being dragged/run over after being ripped off.
The heatshielding is either screwed/rivetted onto the underside tunnel and a bit harder to rip off vs plastic undertray trims with fragile brittle clips.

FWIW, a heatshield is a textured ally shaped that's usually found towards the middle to rear of a car after and the undertrays are the black plastic around the car:
iu

A cat sheild will be usually welded or bolted around the cat itself, and unless the cars old/somethings hit it hard/corroded, those tend to not come off, just vibrate/rattle and sound dreadful haha.

Last edited:
So on the way to the garage this morning I went through a much smaller puddle (unavoidable), and the shield came off! Took it to the garage anyway, as @keef247 said, it was the undertray which had come loose. all fixed now

So on the way to the garage this morning I went through a much smaller puddle (unavoidable), and the shield came off! Took it to the garage anyway, as @keef247 said, it was the undertray which had come loose. all fixed now
Thought it might be an undertray :p - very common for these to get ripped off by water but pretty unlikely for heatshields to.

And for what it's worth - both undertrays and heatshields serve an important purpose so if you don't drive a complete shed, you should get them replaced

Back
Top Bottom