Heat Pumps: anyone have one/thought about it?

Soldato
Happy days, is this is the scheme for those who are on low incomes?

Either way post up the proposal of works, it’s always worth a sense check.

The main thing with a heat pump is to get the heat loss survey correct and setting up the controls properly once installed.

You can check their heat loss calculations using the heat punk website.

Associate
Happy days, is this is the scheme for those who are on low incomes?

Either way post up the proposal of works, it’s always worth a sense check.

The main thing with a heat pump is to get the heat loss survey correct and setting up the controls properly once installed.

You can check their heat loss calculations using the heat punk website.
Low incomes and certain medical issues.

Soldato
In the process of having an install in my renovation project. Floor (suspended timber), has been lifted and insulated. We have gone for radiators on a manifold system and a 5kw heat pump with unvented cylinder. Will drop some more details shortly.

Soldato
Not sure I agree with your take above.

Higher water temperatures are just less efficient regardless of the source of heat and should be avoided if possible. The cost of slotting in a slightly larger radiator are lower than the running costs of going higher temperature.

There are also other benefits to lower temperatures such as having a more consistent temperature which is more comfortable. It is also safer for children and the elderly who may not realise their 70C radiator is scolding them. To reiterate, this applies to gas too.

Moving to heat pumps and away from fossil fueled boilers is a perfectly valid energy policy and is ultimately going to cut energy consumption by 2/3 and make us less reliant on expensive imported gas. How is that not an energy policy?

I’d presume they already have a wet system which was powered by the back boiler.

All of the cost associated with putting in a heat pump is all the labour with re-working the existing heating system, the heat pump itself is not actually that expensive. With the £7500 grant, you can get a heat pump retrofitted for as little as £500. If you are starting from scratch, the only real difference is the cost of the heat pump and a gas boiler as you should be designing it for low temperature anyway.

Combining insulation, solar and heat pump could significantly decrease your running costs if it’s installed correctly. This will in turn add a bit of value to the property if you own it.

There are some obvious synergies between solar and heat pumps. While you will not be producing enough energy to power your home and heating over winter, the excess you sell to the grid in the summer will pay for for some winter use. Between the end of March and October, all your space and water heating needs will probably be covered by the system assuming is of a decent size and not a token 4 panels.

Is this a council led initiative?

Depends on the situation. If you have microbore then higher temperature is better. If you want a bath, higher temperature is better.

The cost of heat-pumps is very high. They are not as efficient as they are cracked up to be and they are more expensive to maintain and later replace. It's not to say they aren't any good, but they don't suit everyone.

It's true, if you don't have a central heating system then it doesn't need retrofitting for a heat-pump and if you don't have any insulation then you need some anyway! As I say, every case is different.

Of course you have to have somewhere decent to put a heat-pump too.

Soldato
You can run your heating and hot water at different temperatures, 50C is more than fine for hot water and is more than achievable on a regular heat pump, you'll still be mixing down at 50C as its too hot bath/shower in. The only advantage of hotter hot water is you can store more energy in the same size cylinder, you'll be paying for it still.

Microbore might be an issue, it might not even with 8mm microbore. It depends on your heat loss and how much flow you need to get around the pipes. I've got 10mm microbore, its not an issue.

The units are more expensive to buy but they cost less to run and should last a long time, it should come out in the wash. Servicing is so, so and largely because there is little competition in the market, not that there is really anything to 'service' outside of cleaning the condenser - feels like a bit of a warranty racket to me. Once the warranty has expired, I'll not bother.

Efficiency is a function of your target flow temperature, how well your controls are set up and if the installer did the heat loss calculation properly. The issue is that difference between a bad gas install and a good one is 10-30% efficiency loss most people don't notice or care, a heat pump it could be 10-200% loss, it can go very wrong.

Heat pump placement can be problematic but the rules are being changed in a few weeks to be less problematic. We only really had 2 places ours could go, one of which was vetoed by Mrs Sk8. Neither were perfect and as its a retrofit, it means there is an external pipework run but it is hidden by the geometry of the house most of the time.

Man of Honour
This.

A boiler is pretty noisy and no one complains about having one in their house. A heat pump is outside!
Our heatpump is an older model and its not silent by any means - but its cerainly quieter than my parents oil boilder that sounds like a trainee digeridoo player thanks to the vertical extension on the flue :D

Associate
You can run your heating and hot water at different temperatures, 50C is more than fine for hot water and is more than achievable on a regular heat pump, you'll still be mixing down at 50C as its too hot bath/shower in. The only advantage of hotter hot water is you can store more energy in the same size cylinder, you'll be paying for it still.

Microbore might be an issue, it might not even with 8mm microbore. It depends on your heat loss and how much flow you need to get around the pipes. I've got 10mm microbore, its not an issue.

The units are more expensive to buy but they cost less to run and should last a long time, it should come out in the wash. Servicing is so, so and largely because there is little competition in the market, not that there is really anything to 'service' outside of cleaning the condenser - feels like a bit of a warranty racket to me. Once the warranty has expired, I'll not bother.

Efficiency is a function of your target flow temperature, how well your controls are set up and if the installer did the heat loss calculation properly. The issue is that difference between a bad gas install and a good one is 10-30% efficiency loss most people don't notice or care, a heat pump it could be 10-200% loss, it can go very wrong.

Heat pump placement can be problematic but the rules are being changed in a few weeks to be less problematic. We only really had 2 places ours could go, one of which was vetoed by Mrs Sk8. Neither were perfect and as its a retrofit, it means there is an external pipework run but it is hidden by the geometry of the house most of the time.
What change is coming? I'd be keen to find out what planning regs might change, I'm looking at options too

Soldato
What change is coming? I'd be keen to find out what planning regs might change, I'm looking at options too
Basically to get shot of some of the placement constraints.

Soldato
Our heatpump is an older model and its not silent by any means - but its cerainly quieter than my parents oil boilder that sounds like a trainee digeridoo player thanks to the vertical extension on the flue :D
My Daikin is directly under my lounge window (double glazed but total rubbish when it comes to heat retention and noise reflection) and you have to press your face up against it to hear it when it’s on.

Man of Honour
My Daikin is directly under my lounge window (double glazed but total rubbish when it comes to heat retention and noise reflection) and you have to press your face up against it to hear it when it’s on.
To be fair to ours, it would be that way too if it wasn't between our house and our neighbours house - the facing brick walls seem to pick up the exact frequency of the compressor at low load and throw it into our hallway window - its still not what I would call loud.

Back
Top Bottom