Heatsink to replace H100

Associate
I have not posted in here on here very much but I need some advice.

Well I have had enough of the H100's my third one has now died on me the pump failed. (I will send it back and sell the replacement)

The first one had a noisy pump, sent it back got a second one and that was DOA. Now this one has failed after only 3 months of work. I am not saying its a bad cooler. Its been great when it was working just that they don't seem to work for me if you know what I mean.

Now I need to find a new cooler I have a MSI Z68A-GD65 baord in a Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced case. I also have all four memory slots filled with Corsair Vengeance memory. So It needs to fit the case and with the memory being tall due to the heat spreader need to be able to fit over it. Budget wise I would rather it be around £50. Also I could reuse my Scythe Gentle Typhoons I have from the H100

Associate
It doesn't seem to overhang any ram slots, also the included fan is really good. It's a 14cm cooler so your scythe fans probably be useless on it but they can be used elsewhere? :) Actually they would probably fit on there just fine.

Soldato
For me it's a no brainer. Air trumps water.

CLC does not out-perform air, usually more expensive, louder, more potential for problems, wears out and when it fails your computer is dead until you get a replacement

Air is cheaper, simple. quiet, doesn't wear out and if a fan dies you can still use computer.

Some will argue that CLC takes up less space than air, but does it? Area of radiator & fans is quite similar and with CLC you have to add hoses and heatsink...

Component systems will out perform air but are much more expensive (2-3 times), bulky, require maintenance,\ and wear out.

Have read several posts about removing Corsair Vengeance heatsinks. Most RAM is fine without any heatsink.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18348208
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1594304

Then the cooler world will be your apple as almost all cooler systems will fit. RAM will fit under all coolers. Do measure from RAM to side cover as you need clearance for 120 or 140mm fan, depending on what cooler you choose. ;)

Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E might interfere with top PCI slot.

I made a little list of cooler sizes:

Cooler size comparison
K2 . = . 140x128x158mm 146x154x160mm w/fans (WxDxH looking from front of case)
D14 = . 140x130x160mm 140x158x160mm w/fans
TC14 = 140x134x160mm 140x159x171mm w/fans
SA . = . 147x123x160mm 151x149x160mm w/Fans
SB-E. = 155x105x164mm 170x130x170mm w/fans
Extreme 155x105x164mm 155x130x165mm w/fans Reason it's smaller is 140mm fan vs 150mm fan.

K2, D14 & TC14 are about same except for TC14 140mm fans & 31mm RAM clearance stack up to 171mm (my R2 is 165mm clearance and TC14 fits)

SB-E is widest by 15mm. Even wider with TY-150 fan = 170.

Extreme with TY-143 fans is still 151.5mm

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, so easy to take them heatsinks off, looks better without them imo. Do that and get a K2 it's almost in your budget. I always recommend the D-14, it's easy to install and is a beast of a cooler. The Megahalems with your 2 scythe fans would look sweet though and perform well and within budget.

Soldato
BrianB,
Have not had D-14 but had U12P and loved it. Phanteks is easy install, just install mount with all hardware before tightening mount. Then install crossbar on heatsink. I've install all kinds of coolers over the years and only ones that were problems were plastic and/or plastic push-pin. Best advice I can give is always assemble and trial fit cooler before removing protective cove and applying TIM ;) The extra couple of minute it takes same all kinds of grief... TIM everywhere, cut finger installing fans, etc.

Associate
I favour the D-14 because it's so easy to re-install with the motherboard in the case. It's as simple as putting it on the cpu and tightening 2 screws, no fiddly crossbars. That's not a bad idea doing a trial install. I might try that with my Accelero if I order one! :D

Associate
For me it's a no brainer. Air trumps water.

CLC does not out-perform air, usually more expensive, louder, more potential for problems, wears out and when it fails your computer is dead until you get a replacement

Air is cheaper, simple. quiet, doesn't wear out and if a fan dies you can still use computer.

Some will argue that CLC takes up less space than air, but does it? Area of radiator & fans is quite similar and with CLC you have to add hoses and heatsink...

Component systems will out perform air but at are much more expensive (2-3 times), bulky, require maintenance,\ and wear out.

I was never intrested in any form of water cooling for all the reasons doyll mentioned, after checking this thread my opinion against water cooling become even stronger

Soldato
Nothing wrong with D14 but if you don't mind red here's a Phanteks PC14 for £58.98
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-009-PT&groupid=595&catid=678&subcat=

orange is £66.99 but doesn't cool any better :D
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-008-PT&groupid=595&catid=678&subcat=

Alpenfohn K2 if you need 120mm intake fan to clear RAM £59,99
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-020-AL&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=

K2 is PWM fans
PC14 are not PWM but come with a real working PWM adapter so run as PWM fans.

Back
Top Bottom