Heatskink heat damage RAM?

Associate
Hi guys

Recently one of my RAM sticks went faulty. I used dual channel and one of my RAM was positioned very close to the heat sink of my Hyper evo 212 and its fan. I did overclock my CPU and it reached temperatures of about 65 degrees Celsius.

The hot air was getting pushed out the rear exhaust and not towards ram though , but I was wondering if some of the heat emitted from the other side where my ram was positioned could've damaged it? Well it was second hand RAM lol, but it worked for about a month and only one of it becoming faulty led me to believe it could've been heat. I forgot which RAM stick was next to the heat sink unfortunately

I'm aware there are many causes, but for this situation I'm wondering how likely it is because i'm scared to use dual channel again with my current CPU cooler.....

Soldato
Heat from the CPU cooler will not have caused the problem with the memory. The airflow from the CPU fan will probably have been keeping it cooler in anything.

A stick of memory dying is quite common. I've had to RMA two older sets of DDR3 in the last six months.

Associate
OP
Heat from the CPU cooler will not have caused the problem with the memory. The airflow from the CPU fan will probably have been keeping it cooler in anything.

A stick of memory dying is quite common. I've had to RMA two older sets of DDR3 in the last six months.

Have you ever tried putting it in the oven technique? I'm desperate since i'm skint as hell and can't stand gaming on single channel lol

Associate
OP
Little more info:
Yesterday I was playing BF1 for about 2 hours, turned my PC off - went away to do something for 3 hours... came back and my PC turned on but blank monitor. I then did the reset CMOS thingy and monitor came on, but PC would crash on startup after few secs. All day it's just been a series of crashes until I switched to my old 8gb stick

Soldato
There isn't a 'putting it in the oven technique' for memory. People have temporality fixed video cards by reflowing the solder in the oven.

There isn’t a massive difference between single and multichannel memory. The overall amount matters more.

Associate
OP
Yeah the difference between single and dual isn't as big as most people seem to think it is .

Probably not, but I have personally seen a huge difference in FPS in games such as Battlefield 1 and PUBG which are the main games I play.

I just want to get back to dual channel not because of what others have said, but mainly to my own experience in the games i've played. But I guess the difference in a lot of games is very small when using dual or single channel.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There isn't a 'putting it in the oven technique' for memory. People have temporality fixed video cards by reflowing the solder in the oven.

There isn’t a massive difference between single and multichannel memory. The overall amount matters more.

Oh alright I see. Oven is out of the question then hehe. Thanks for the replies

Permabanned
What is your set up?
Ram dose just go bad, but there can also be other things at play.

you identified the bad stick by switching it out? after all started to work again did you retest the stick? did you try the stick in different slots?

Back
Top Bottom