Heaven Benchmark tessellation artifacts on 7970

Associate
Hi
I purchased the 9500 Monolith with a HIS HD 7970 tessellation artefacts late last year. I noticed that tessellation artefacts (light blue triangles) appeared in two sections of the Heaven Benchmark. At the time I put it down to a driver issue. As I didn’t have much stuff that used the tessellation engine until recently. I then read that the driver had a bug that caused tessellation artefacts. So I awaited the fix. The new Beta driver has the fix in. However, it ‘s the 7870 and not the 7970 that has the problem. I have seen online that this can indicate a hardware issue. I have tried everything that I can think of drivers wise and even slowing the memory clock down so it is seriously under clocked. Am I missing something obvious? Strange thing is that it works without a fault when there is no tessellation set.

Man of Honour
Really this should be in the graphics section

It sounds like to may have a dodgy graphics card, my HD 7970s don't artefact in the Heaven bench unless I am running a big overclock.

Try underclocking both the memory and GPU, if this cures it, then I think you have a dodgy card.

I would also contact who you bought it off as well.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the quick reply. I have tried both clocks and it is still the same. I put the message in here because it is a OcUK full system. The problem could be related to another part of the system. ie Power supply issue.

Thanks again...

Associate
OP
Ok
Point taken, not sure that you pointed me to the right forum there anyway. So how am I to make a decision on which is the right heading for a subject.
Ok I have solved my problem. I have read a whole host of sites that end with no answer because somebody has despatched the answer before an answer is resolved. VERY ANNOYING!
This is the solution if you are seeing stuff like this when you enable Tessellation for the HD 7970.
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/printer_friendly_posts.asp?TID=28725
These are my little blue triangles.
Don’t send your card back just yet. I have been a Computer Programmer for over 27 years and this smells of a driver problem. If you run the Heaven Benchmark and get this sort of artefact the cure might be as it was for me. I have had this problem for months in fact, since the first turned it on. . Before we all start jumping up and down and saying …. “ I knew it”. It has taken me a long time to sort this out and OcUK have to take new technology and send it to us fast.
Ok this is how I fixed it in software. ( I think that, that is where the problem lies )
1. Remove Direct X 11 and all of its components. ( hopefully you had already installed this as it is the backbone of this problem. If not you need to look elsewhere for a solution.)
2. Do not use Windows uninstall to remove HD 7000 series drives. Instead us this link from AMD to completely remove everything.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx
Now just install the latest 7000 series drivers. I assume that something in the drivers installation can get locked in the Windows uninstall.
If you are getting very erratic artefacts all the time in the Heaven Benchmark then it might be a hardware problem. However, if it only occurs in certain sections and disappears when you run under OpenGL. This might cure the problem.
Oh! I don’t know which forum this is meant to go in. I will leave that to you guys to decide. At least I have produced a list in a forum that has attempted to solve a problem.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom