Hedge your bets.. :D

Soldato
I'm having my exhaust manifold removed and a new stainless one fitted.

Bike is a 1999 CBR600FX. Manifold is original and 23 years old. It's rotten as hell on the bottom. I've got the 4 outer manifold bolts out or at least undone.. the 4 inners are not moving. I've spent a couple of weeks soaking them in plusgas.

Given it over to a garage to sort. I used to race with him and he regularly tunes/builds race bikes and sorts/tunes a few of the BSB bikes out.

They have a fancy tool where you put the tool over the nut and it superheats the nut before you to get it out - similar to blowtorch except it's concentrated solely on the nut.

They have 4 to do.....

Who's betting all 4 snap? :D I am, but praying they don't as that means drilling them out hence giving it to these guys because they can build a race bike in less than a day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm having my exhaust manifold removed and a new stainless one fitted.

Bike is a 1999 CBR600FX. Manifold is original and 23 years old. It's rotten as hell on the bottom. I've got the 4 outer manifold bolts out or at least undone.. the 4 inners are not moving. I've spent a couple of weeks soaking them in plusgas.

Given it over to a garage to sort. I used to race with him and he regularly tunes/builds race bikes and sorts/tunes a few of the BSB bikes out.

They have a fancy tool where you put the tool over the nut and it superheats the nut before you to get it out - similar to blowtorch except it's concentrated solely on the nut.

They have 4 to do.....

Who's betting all 4 snap? :D I am, but praying they don't as that means drilling them out hence giving it to these guys because they can build a race bike in less than a day.

I dunno, but I'd take that to a garage as well to be fair

Soldato
OP
Got it done and sorted. They didn't snap any as they cut the nuts off leaving the thread in and cleaned the thread up and putting new nuts on. Near £500 cost but they fitted everything to get it running with the new stainless manifold and changed my CCT for a manual one I supplied and fitted all new mounts for new radiator and exhaust.
Overall a good job.

Back
Top Bottom