Hellblade II: Senua's Saga [RELEASE DATE 21 MAY 2024]

Associate
Finished it and amazing graphic, sound and story. Puzzle a bit meh but it's good to slow down every now and then and enjoy a game with a story. These are those games.

Associate
Why the heck can you not use DLSS frame generation without upscaling.? Even DLAA looks bad on 1440p display with shimmering and softness in motion.
Not seen that in any other game so far.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The shimmering on specular highlights is engine level and not down to DLSS/DLAA/FSR etc or the resolution being used. It's just the way this engine is currently in this game.

Associate
The shimmering on specular highlights is engine level and not down to DLSS/DLAA/FSR etc or the resolution being used. It's just the way this engine is currently in this game.
Shimmering on trees etc.
They are nice and sharp when standing still but as soon as I start moving the camera they get blurry and shimmery.
While I like DLSS a lot on my 4k displays on my 1440p one it just doesn't work for me.
I want to be able to use frame generation without upscaling just like you know every other game before this one could.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Shimmering on trees etc.
They are nice and sharp when standing still but as soon as I start moving the camera they get blurry and shimmery.
While I like DLSS a lot on my 4k displays on my 1440p one it just doesn't work for me.
I want to be able to use frame generation without upscaling just like you know every other game before this one could.
Hmm that sounds like something else then, because at 1440p (3440x1440) there is no obvious blurry/shimmering at all at any GFX combo of DLSS/DLAA/TSR/FSR etc when moving the camera, at least nothing that isn't a trait of Unreal Engine anyay. Did a quick double check just now:

Interestingly in that video some flickering/shimmering can be seen but it's only on the youtube video and not on the source video which is recorded at 120fps and not in game. I guess youtube's compression and drop to 60fps is the cause of this.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm that sounds like something else then, because at 1440p (3440x1440) there is no obvious blurry/shimmering at all at any GFX combo of DLSS/DLAA/TSR/FSR etc when moving the camera, at least nothing that isn't a trait of Unreal Engine anyay. Did a quick double check just now:

Interestingly in that video some flickering/shimmering can be seen but it's only on the youtube video and not on the source video which is recorded at 120fps and not in game. I guess youtube's compression and drop to 60fps is the cause of this.

this is what I'm talking about.

Just tried all 4 upscaling or rather AA options and strangely enough fsr3 looks the best to me as while it shimmers just as much if not slightly more at least it gives me best sharpness without looking over sharpened but of course I can't use frame generation with that. :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty game and I don't mind a walking simulator with a story. However,horrible console combat mechanics. Way too scripted and it's too clunky. Probably better with a controller. Want to finish it,but probably won't bother.

Edit!

Uninstalled.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

this is what I'm talking about.

Just tried all 4 upscaling or rather AA options and strangely enough fsr3 looks the best to me as while it shimmers just as much if not slightly more at least it gives me best sharpness without looking over sharpened but of course I can't use frame generation with that. :mad:
I will have a look at this way just walking slowly when outside in an open area next time round but am sure this wasn't the case for me, at least at 3440x1440 anyway with DLSS. FSR is definitely not the best for grass temporal stability, you can see it fizzling vs the clean DLSS implementation.

Soldato
Pretty game and I don't mind a walking simulator with a story. However,horrible console combat mechanics. Way too scripted and it's too clunky. Probably better with a controller. Want to finish it,but probably won't bother.

Edit!

Uninstalled.
Why do you associate controllers with consoles? Pc gaming has had forever the largest variety of controllers available to buy. It's nice to sit back and relax with a controller game once in a while.

Soldato
Why do you associate controllers with consoles? Pc gaming has had forever the largest variety of controllers available to buy. It's nice to sit back and relax with a controller game once in a while.

Because the issue,is even if these ports have extra graphical settings for PC,more often than not the devs CBA don't actually care about keyboard or mouse. So you end up with a control scheme made for a console controller,approximately mapped to a keyboard and mouse. Also games hardwiring key binding and re-using the same key for multiple things! Its the worst of both worlds.You also see that with some MMOs too and other games,where they have dumbed down the mechanics,because a console controller has less inputs.

Walking simulator games like this have been around for decades on PC and there are several famous ones. Myst comes to mind. Another more recently was Firewatch. So the style of game is not the issue.

However,the combat in this game is clunky and repetitive - more "cinematic" padding. It's tedious,optimised for a console controller and very scripted. The same animations,again and again. The same boring combinations you need to use to win. The fights drag on way too long! It's like the devs are trying to pad the game out with boring fights. It also appears to be a step backwards from the first one. I can't be bothered. Also its quite expensive too - I am not surprised PC sales are not great. Thank goodness I have it on Game Pass.

It's a shame as I really wanted to like this. I will just watch a playthrough on Youtube.

However,UE5 looks great in this game. Impressed with the visuals and it doesn't even use RT!

Last edited:
Soldato
not hating on any of you here, I was just like you all. (worse in some respects)
But you need really should just play the game & not worry about the graphics. I know were tweakers & we like to, but you end up chasing that graphic dream & not actually having fun.
Ive moved to consoles & so much happier for it, played this on Xbox Series X on Day 1. I really enjoyed it there are some issues
  • puzzles are meh, & not needed
  • combat was fun but limited, id like to see an endless mode
  • yes the presentation is soft, but from what ive read from the developers this is by design to give almost analogue film presentation.
  • I did turn off motion blur originally, but I actually think blur here actually adds to her pyschosis

I don't think its a game but an "experience" which I really enjoyed, one to remember for decades.
    anyway just wanted to highlight that you should enjoy your game rather than worry about graphics to much more before you become what I was. so much time spent on graphic tweaking Os tweaking no time for actual fun.

its been an eye opener for me, in just 3 months ive finished more games than I have in years on the PC

Associate
its been an eye opener for me, in just 3 months ive finished more games than I have in years on the PC

This is the reason I now don’t even have rivatuner displayed. I just max the settings and play the game.

Otherwise you end up obsessing over every frametime stutter that shows on the overlay!

Man of Honour
Because it means we have to have rubbish console stuff like holding X to pick up an item instead of just pressing one key.
That one is my single greatest pet peeve when its in a game.

My second pet peeve is item/weapon wheels, I've got dozens and dozens of keys on my keyboard, dont force me to use a popup wheel selector, interrupting the gameplay, for things, let me just press a key to pick something.

Soldato
I was reading something on Reddit about this and multiple people said the devs should get an award for somehow managing to make the combat from the first one, even more boring in the second game.

I've got GP again so will endeavour to play the first one at least.

Last edited:
Soldato
not hating on any of you here, I was just like you all. (worse in some respects)
But you need really should just play the game & not worry about the graphics. I know were tweakers & we like to, but you end up chasing that graphic dream & not actually having fun.
Ive moved to consoles & so much happier for it, played this on Xbox Series X on Day 1. I really enjoyed it there are some issues
  • puzzles are meh, & not needed
  • combat was fun but limited, id like to see an endless mode
  • yes the presentation is soft, but from what ive read from the developers this is by design to give almost analogue film presentation.
  • I did turn off motion blur originally, but I actually think blur here actually adds to her pyschosis

I don't think its a game but an "experience" which I really enjoyed, one to remember for decades.
    anyway just wanted to highlight that you should enjoy your game rather than worry about graphics to much more before you become what I was. so much time spent on graphic tweaking Os tweaking no time for actual fun.

Don't think that this forum is typical of many PC gamers. The most popular dGPU on Steam is an RTX3060. Many on this forum spend loads on their hardware so want everything to look shiny! I ran this on an RTX3060TI at DLSS quality at qHD with a mix of medium and high settings and the graphics were decent enough at those settings. I find art style is more important than just the pure technical side of graphics. Valhelm won't win any graphical awards but I thought it looked great and had excellent atmosphere.

That one is my single greatest pet peeve when its in a game.

My second pet peeve is item/weapon wheels, I've got dozens and dozens of keys on my keyboard, dont force me to use a popup wheel selector, interrupting the gameplay, for things, let me just press a key to pick something.

This and also the whole cinematic button mashing pre-scripted combat.

I was reading something on Reddit about this and multiple people said the devs should get an award for somehow managing to make the combat from the first one, even more boring in the second game.

I've got GP again so will endeavour to play the first one at least.

I just looked on Reddit and even some of the console people don't like the combat.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished it and amazing graphic, sound and story. Puzzle a bit meh but it's good to slow down every now and then and enjoy a game with a story. These are those games.

Amazing feeling when the voices take over and Senua's power level reaches over 9000!

10/10 graphics, would super saiyan level schizophrenic again!

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think that this forum is typical of many PC gamers. The most popular dGPU on Steam is an RTX3060. Many on this forum spend loads on their hardware so want everything to look shiny! I ran this on an RTX3060TI at DLSS quality at qHD with a mix of medium and high settings and the graphics were decent enough at those settings. I find art style is more important than just the pure technical side of graphics. Valhelm won't win any graphical awards but I thought it looked great and had excellent atmosphere.

This and also the whole cinematic button mashing pre-scripted combat.

I just looked on Reddit and even some of the console people don't like the combat.
eh I was one of those I was on a 3090/5900x & 7900XTX before switching to console, still have the PC under the desk but its not been on in 4 months. love just playing games bored of the tweaking & updating drivers & constantly updating storefronts...

PS5/XBOX just looks good enough now Only downside is som games locked to 30fps

Back
Top Bottom