Helldivers 2

Soldato
The fact that people had to make a big internet drama for Sony to do the proper thing is worrying.

100% agree, sadly it's become the "best" way to us little peons to force huge companies (who are doing something utter stupid with borderline legality) into stopping being shady crooks and change their mind......................this time!

I have absolutely no doubt the person who made this original "what do you mean you've got a temporary PSN exemption for this game, change that immediately and get all those new PC players onto the PSN right now!!!" decision isn't going to be fired in the near future, and I also 100% guarantee that they will have had zero clue of the PR Poop-Storm they were about to cause before they made that decision because they have no clue about gamers and their reactions, no matter what their staff around them (and the Game's Devs) may have thought or told them before hand.

So whilst the gamers will take this specific case as a win, in reality Sony will just ensure all this PSN requirement is included "before" they sell/distribute the next game - that requirement isn't going away any time soon no matter how much people protest.

Man of Honour
So whilst the gamers will take this specific case as a win, in reality Sony will just ensure all this PSN requirement is included "before" they sell/distribute the next game - that requirement isn't going away any time soon no matter how much people protest.

That’s fine though, just vote with your wallet. What’s not ok is implementing it months down the road.

Caporegime
Shock horror, inevitable U-turn and thus nothing mattered.
People will rebuy it and everything goes back to how it was.
Gamers love a drama.

Its not drama, its standing our ground instead of just bending over, if we did that with GPU's we wouldn't be paying £800 for midrange cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not drama, its standing our ground instead of just bending over, if we did that with GPU's we wouldn't be paying £800 for midrange cards.

Agree, same as not funding Chris Roberts' world record breaking mid-life crisis too by buying virtual ships (some not even playable) for £hundreds.

Caporegime
Agree, same as not funding Chris Roberts' world record breaking mid-life crisis too by buying virtual ships (some not even playable) for £hundreds.

Spending hundreds of £ on ships that you can buy with ingame currency after a few day's of grinding is idiotic, i don't do it and my ship inventory takes a good while to scroll through on the ASOP terminals. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I own about 30+ ships but this is my MASSIVE real money fleet, one of them is a CIG freebie :D

YQXvRlD.png

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Good news but it’s important to not put all the blame on Sony here.

The ceo of arrowhead was the one who disabled the psn linking requirement at launch because of server issues.

Valve are also accountable for everything listed on their platform. They should have better vetting if they allow games to be available on their platform with those conditions.

I’m sure Sony just negotiated this with Arrowhead way back, then forgot about it. Then only asked questions recently. We haven’t heard a peep from them on the topic, have we?

Caporegime
Good news but it’s important to not put all the blame on Sony here.

The ceo of arrowhead was the one who disabled the psn linking requirement at launch because of server issues.

Valve are also accountable for everything listed on their platform. They should have better vetting if they allow games to be available on their platform with those conditions.

I’m sure Sony just negotiated this with Arrowhead way back, then forgot about it. Then only asked questions recently. We haven’t heard a peep from them on the topic, have we?
It's the folly of GaaS and online only games ultimately, these sorts of risks are just inherent.

If the dev didn't get rid of the linking aspect the launch (in his words) would have been an even bigger disaster than it was which could very well be fatal for the game and the developer. The real issue here is why the game was being sold at all to countries without access to PSN, that's almost entirely Sony's fault and Steam shares a bit (though it probably ensured that Steam would not be a happy bunny attaining all that liability so weren't about to help Sony out). I think Steam's hands-off culture almost certainly means they're just leaving all the legal garbage up to the publishers and just hoping it works out.

Of course Sony execs will hate that this embarrassed them so will be punishing the platform by accelerating their likely PS+ adoption for all online services.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If Sony want to make PSN account linking mandatory for all future releases that's fine, at least that way we can make an informed decision before buying.

Sony have some good games that i would like to see on PC, Gran Turismo might just sway me to set up a PSN account with a burner ID.

Last edited:
Soldato
If Sony want to make PSN account linking mandatory for all future releases that's fine, at least that way we can make an informed decision before buying.

Sony have some good games that i would like to see on PC, Gran Turismo might just sway me to set up a PSN account with a burner ID.
People are just being drama queens imo. It's not a big deal and as far as I know, helldivers 2 the actual game is still good so people giving it negeituce reviews is bit excessive.

We are supposed to review games based on how good or bad the actual game is right?

Caporegime
The whole issue here is they gave you something (yes I know it was in the T&C saying that it will change in the future), and then taken away.

This issue doesn't apply to me as I live in the UK, have a PS5 so have a PSN account, but imagine those who bought the game on PC and can't play it within their terms of service. They are happy to take your money yet you are not legally allowed to play it? That is just wrong.

I was going to get this game this month but things like this really do put me off and I will vote with my wallet and not get it, backtracked or not.

Last edited:

pre

pre

Associate
Glad for the people
Surely that was illegal for them to publish it in countries where PSN isn't available, knowing full well it wouldn't work there next month.
Probably an internal "talk to the hand cos the face ain't listening" within Sony.

Soldato

Yep, this isn't likely to change Sony's overall strategy. But if a game is clear about its PSN requirements from Day 1 and enforce it from Day 1, then purchasers can make an informed choice.

The mistake here was to describe something as optional at the point of sale, then try to retrofit it as mandatory, stealth editing previously written FAQs in the process.

Back
Top Bottom