Hello - and some questions

Associate
Hi all

New here - so hello....

I've come from a background of overclocking - back in the Celeron 300A days.... but not messed with it for some years now and am way out of touch!

Planning to upgrade to something I can play games on. Currently got a DFI Lanparty mobo, Intel Q6600 (2.4ghz running at 2.7), 8Gb or RAM and an ATI HD 3870x2 (with 4 x DVI). Only really using office apps at the moment.

Really want to buy an overclocked bundle - just not sure if to go i5 or i7 - and what overclock. Also thinking a GTX560 to handle the graphics.

Budget - haven't really got one -but thinking 'best ghz for my £' would do it...

Anyone got any thoughts? Is an i7 bundle overkill? Would i5 be better...? Gigabyte or Asus mobo... (used both brands in the past and like both)

Decisions decisions....

:)

Simon

Permabanned
For gaming i7 offers no advantages over i5 so i5 would be best choice, make sure you get the new SandyBridge (1155) i5's, eg 2500k with a b3 revision P67 board
The 560s are quite good cards but other options around the same price are the older 480 which is more powerful but a bit hotter and louder or ATi's 6950 which can potentially be unlocked to a 6970, see the gfx card forum

Associate
OP
Thanks 95 - was just reading the i5 v i7 stuff from the linky in your sig :)
How do you rate Asus v gigabyte P67 boards?

I'd really like a quiet PC as 90% of the time it'll be used for office stuff (I work from home) - but will look at the 480....

Permabanned
Asus and Gigabyte are both very good, Ive leant towards Asus in past and wanted to try Gigabyte this time round, though their lack of EUFI BIOS is a bit disappointing for me personally, though I'l prob end up skipping this generation again personally and waiting to see what the next offers, theyre both very good though, you cant go far wrong with either, Gigabyte have the advantage of UK based RMA
I also like quiet and personally have just purchased a 560 (the KFA2) but each to their own, for actual office work the 480 would not be loud as it would not be being stressed, it would only spin up under load whilst gaming and a lot of people are happy that their speakers/headphones block out the noise

Associate
OP
ok, thanks again.

Think I've decided against the Asus (seems lots of folk have had issues)... so the Giga UD4 is looking good - altough the MSI is sneaking in - read some pretty good reviews.

Si

Back
Top Bottom