Hello, ex console hero joins the OC

Associate
Hello all,

Big console guy starting with NES, yes I’m that old now! (Very) Long break from gaming due to family getting bigger but the boys are now playing switches and I got the hankering to build my own pc.

Built something about 9 months or so ago now and playing a fair few steam titles, budget was very tight (damn kids!) so a lot of things had to be bought in sales, on eBay/2nd hand or donated from old clan buddies.

I started with this:
  • Gigabyte z270 k3 gaming MB (on sale)
  • i3 7-7100 (box opened reduction)
  • Fury x x2 4gb 2666mhz (eBay)
  • Gtx 670 kfa edition (donated)
  • 500 wd blue hd (knocking about)
  • 650 modular psu (on sale)
  • Kraken g12 gpu cooler bracket (new)
  • X2 h75 Corsair water coolers (eBay)
  • Splitfish fragchuck (new) *still cant do wsad
  • Logitech g502 mouse(new)
  • Cheap Logitech wireless keyboard (new)
Just realised this all cost me £485! Since added an ssd and a 2nd hand gtx 980 taking me £650. Would I have been better off with an off the shelf system, I have enjoyed the tinkering and OCing the 980 has been fun. I know my cpu is woeful and that’s next on the list but an i7 7700k is £350, then I’ll be at £1000.

Even further down the line I’m thinking full water cooling system, better case, more rgb lighting and custom gpu backplate! It’s like an addiction! Help me stop

Man of Honour
Welcome!

You say you enjoy the tinkering so you answered your own question re whether you would have been better of with an off the shelf.....no. Tinker away and enjoy.

Kids are a money sink but not all bad :)

Back
Top Bottom