• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help! AMD FX 8350 Overheating!!!

Associate
For the past couple of days my PC has been shutting down because my AMD FX 8350 has been overheating really quickly. It first started when playing Overwatch earlier this week and it has continued to happen when the CPU is under heavy load. It has shut down whilst playing Overwatch, DOOM, running Prime95 and even today trying to render a 1080p video in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Currently have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler which keeps my system between 28-30c on IDLE. When under load either in game, Chrome, YouTube, Premiere Pro it gets hot really quick. When monitoring the temps using HWMonitor & Speedfan the highest it reached before shutting down was 83c.

I have twice applied fresh thermal paste (ARCTIC-MX-4) and reseated the CPU cooler since yesterday and the temps are still rising.

System has x4 internal fans all exhausting heat out of the machine and I have the side panel off also.

Current system at IDLE temps below.

9qw8z7.png

Specs in sig.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

8350 gets hot and 212 is not really good enough but at stock I would have thought maybe it would be ok but as you reseated it not sure it is faulty.

Not sure if having a couple of fan sucking in air at the front and side and back and top sucking air out with the side panel on so you get a through draft?.

how much paste did you put on ..? it only needs micro thin .. what I did was one dot in the middle and one just past middle for each corner .. ran it for yrs like that at 5ghz ..(on water)
thinner the better ..
hope this helps

how much paste did you put on ..? it only needs micro thin .. what I did was one dot in the middle and one just past middle for each corner .. ran it for yrs like that at 5ghz ..(on water)
thinner the better ..
hope this helps
First time I reapplied it yesterday I added a pea sized amount in the centre. Today when I redone it I added a small amount again but then spread it so there is a thin layer covering the whole CPU.

If the fan isn't moving then sure replace it. But if it is spinning then the problem lies elsewhere.
A fan works or it doesn't, a better fan might reduce temps by a couple of degrees but don't expect it to work miracles.

Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Focused Flow PWM Cooling Fan i like Noctua i have had a lot of coolers and fan but i am glad i got a Noctua as it is quiet.

I do wish i had brought a Noctua cooler sooner as it would have saved me money in the long run and theirs case fans I like as well.

If the fan isn't moving then sure replace it. But if it is spinning then the problem lies elsewhere.
A fan works or it doesn't, a better fan might reduce temps by a couple of degrees but don't expect it to work miracles.

I thought that as well but it might need a good cleaning the cooler and fan if full of dust

Its definitely spinning and works fine.

Is it possible that my PSU could be the problem? or maybe a throttling issue?

I am not sure then but I had a 212 and I replaced it when i got my 8320 the only thing i can think of is too much paste or not seated right but I would check to see how much air is going through the fins to see if you got a nice air flow over the cooler not sure what else really.

Back
Top Bottom